RCS Babies - Born with full color?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pool sand is great cause it's natural looking and te surface grows algae and biofilm quite easily.

But.....

Hard to clean
And over time it compacts causing anaerobic pockets that is dangerous overtime.

Plus no nutrients for planting

shrimpbako said:
I agree I wouldnt want to pay big bucks for soil but I do pay big bucks for shrimp so why cheap out? That's my way of thinking. I just bought 500$ worth of Oebt shrimp and because of that I would spend 100$ a bag on soil just to know its safe and good to use

Because this about RCS which are NOT expensive shrimp! Anyway sand was what I had on hand so should suffice for now.

shrimpbako said:
First picture looks like a good color male. I would use him to breed.
2nd pic also a male.

Culls out the ones without good color after a week.

They look like lower grades of fire reds. The red is kinda purple

Will do. Yes some are red almost orange and some lean towards purple and some barely show color at all.

Lonestarbandit said:
Let me ask you this then. As you know I recently purchased 30 shrimp and half of them seem cleanish light brown while the others are red. Did I get robbed blind for low quality or did the travel strain them?

It's funny the exact same thing happened to me, bought 10 RCS on aquabid and half are the wild strain :(
The first shipment was a shrimp cocktail when it arrived completely damaged !
I enjoy the red coloration more and just noticed my first batch of 4 baby shrimpy shrimps :)
Very exciting !

Back
Top Bottom