RCS Berrying Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaGal

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've had my RCS in my 3 gallon tank for about 2-3 weeks now. I've seen the creepy carcasses from molting a few times. I know I have two females and one male. I have yet to see anyone berried, but I have seen the yellow in their bodies kinda behind the head area. The tank is cycled. Before I got them I kept the media in the 10 gallon filter. I'm wondering why I haven't seen any berries?

For entertainment:
Male: Crush
Smaller Female: Squirt
Larger Female: Indiana Jones (named before I could tell sex, soon after added)
Yes Crush and Squirt were named from the turtles in Finding Nemo.

Have you seen the females molt? They will only berry if the female molts and sends out the pheromone to attract the male. so it could be the male beefing up and he's the only one that's molted

Last edited:
I haven't seen anyone molt. I come back from class or wake up and there is a carcass somewhere. I've seen all of them get pale like they're going to. And then a carcass magically appears.

How old are they - do you know? Breeding age for RCS starts at 3-4 months. Also, before you see a berry, you will see a "saddle." This is when the eggs are devloping in the female. Then after she molts she will drop the eggs to her tail to be fertilized.

Back
Top Bottom