Rcs dropping eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Langerz

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have managed to get berried rcs, but they never seem to carry them from long any one know what i can do.

3 g
26 degrees Celsius
0 amm
0 trite
10 trate

A 3 gallon tank is pretty small and parameters can fluctuate quite rapidly. It sounds like they may be getting stressed out by PH or temperature swings. Also younger/inexperienced female shrimp can sometimes drop eggs.

I have about 30 in a 10 gallon and I think the change in water made them drop the eggs. I just saw a bunch on the bottom of the tank. Hopefully they will be okay. perfect water.

I thought it could be swing in temp and stuff, so i started keeping an eye on it all. Apart from a 1 deg cel, everything is stable. Its about the 3rd or 4th batch that has been dropped.
Maybe they are young how long does it take for them to start keeping the eggs

What is your pH? There are also factors like are you you using any special water, RO, or additives, heavy ferts, liquid or substrate, anything like meds, salt? TDS.

How often are water changes?

Do you have a pic of your shrimp?

Ph is 7. I dont use ferts no meds no salt. I do about about 30 % pwc every week with boiled tap water ( i let it cool to temperature )
These pics are of the shrimp that are out playing

image-3981255168.jpg

image-2176948512.jpg

image-3040775910.jpg

image-1876482099.jpg

image-2712186307.jpg

image-2220979277.jpg

image-360958537.jpg

image-730448656.jpg

Do you use a Chlorine, Chloramine, heavy metal neutralizer also?

Why do you boil your water, is it well water, how long do you boil it for?

Thank you for the picks. Almost everything seems normal, obviously not having babies isn't normal.

How many shrimp do you have in the tank?

I do use a dechlorinator. I boil the water because its the easiest way for me to get to the right temp.

30% a week is way to much water being changed in a tank that small. I would do 10% every other week, shrimp don't create much of a bioload and it looks like you have enough plants to keep nitrates low.

I would do a thorough cleaning over the next two weeks, one week tank, then next week filters.

Then I would use treated water not boiled, feel free to heat but not boil. Then don't do a water change for maybe three weeks, this will give the shrimp some serious time for making babies. Although still test the water and do a water change if needed.

On the boiling water thing, I am not a fan. Reason being...there was a study done for garden seeds and plants and different types of water were used to water the plants, like boiled water, distilled, city water and bottled water. Though I don't remember all that much about it, it did end up with the result that the distilled, almost no growth and boiled, very little growth, water did not grow the plants as well as the other water.

Also the TDS could be high, do you happen to have a meter or can you take two samples in to the lfs one of your tap water and one of your tank and ask for them to test the water to see if there is any difference? When you boil the water, you are condensing down the water and solids as the steamed water evaporates.

Nothing is glaring out to me, other than that boiled water, which could be a non-issue. I might see if you can obtain another handful of shrimp to add to your stock from a different source than what you already have. Maybe you need some new blood. That is what I would try.

Wishing you many happy shrimp babies.

I would do a thorough cleaning over the next two weeks, one week tank, then next week filters.

Then I would use treated water not boiled, feel free to heat but not boil. Then don't do a water change for maybe three weeks, this will give the shrimp some serious time for making babies. Although still test the water and do a water change if needed.

On the boiling water thing, I am not a fan. Reason being...there was a study done for garden seeds and plants and different types of water were used to water the plants, like boiled water, distilled, city water and bottled water. Though I don't remember all that much about it, it did end up with the result that the distilled, almost no growth and boiled, very little growth, water did not grow the plants as well as the other water.

Also the TDS could be high, do you happen to have a meter or can you take two samples in to the lfs one of your tap water and one of your tank and ask for them to test the water to see if there is any difference? When you boil the water, you are condensing down the water and solids as the steamed water evaporates.

Nothing is glaring out to me, other than that boiled water, which could be a non-issue. I might see if you can obtain another handful of shrimp to add to your stock from a different source than what you already have. Maybe you need some new blood. That is what I would try.

Wishing you many happy shrimp babies.

I would not do a thorough cleaning as it may start a cycle again.

Make sure you have Males and not just females.
Try some bottled water with Prime as a temporary thing. If TDS is high you can add some Distilled or RO water ( not the whole tank) to lower TDS.

Rinse any filter pads in Tank or conditioned water so you don't kill the BB.

Shrimp like stable conditions. Boiled water sounds bad to me also.

Let it sit out overnight and it will be room temp.

How warm is your tank ? Cherries don't need or want high temps. Mine are 68f, no heater, just room temp.

Test water thoroughly.

Clarifying that properly cleaning the tank shouldn't start a new cycle.

Like never using untreated tap water to clean BB growing areas, like filter pads, other media, housings, rocks, etc.

That is why you do it over two weeks. Filter one week and then substrate the next.

Back
Top Bottom