RCS gender

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Betta Platy Addict

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was thinking all of my females died, but I am thinking this might be a female??? Or is it wishful thinking?

image-1625443704.jpg

Could I have contracted that sentence any more poorly?! Sorry, my baby cried all night so I'm delirious today

That looks like it could possibly be a female it has nice coloring to it

The tail will have a wider, convex shape for a female, to help protect the babies.

Concave shape tail for male (?!?to fit better on female for breeding!?!)

My guess would be female. ;)

The tail will have a wider, convex shape for a female, to help protect the babies.

Concave shape tail for male (?!?to fit better on female for breeding!?!)

My guess would be female. ;)

Ohhhh that is good to know! Thank you!!! Fingers crossed for BABIES!

Have you seen any sign of the saddle yet ? Until a female saddles, she's not sexually mature, thus no babies.
Typically once they saddle they moult, then send out the mating pheromones, which call every male to try to mate with them, then eggs should appear.
Hope it's a girl !

Thanks guys! I have two that look like that. Have not seen them saddle, but I suppose they will in time.

People like myself induce mating by making a decent sized water change. Not too much, you don't want to change the parameters and shock them but the temperature change and clean water causes them to molt and when a female molts, well you get it.

I know whenever I do my weekly water change for my blue velvet tank, I see molts and new berried shrimp the very next day. I change about 40% from the 20 long.

I'm positive that I'm doing something wrong.

Not necessarily. We may have guessed the wrong gender here. Or she may be old and not going to make more eggs. Or she could have just hatched some! I found shrimplets in my tank after never seeing eggs lol

Not necessarily. We may have guessed the wrong gender here. Or she may be old and not going to make more eggs. Or she could have just hatched some! I found shrimplets in my tank after never seeing eggs lol

Oh how fun! I can't wait for babies.

We have 2 berried females a few days after finding two large molts.

Found this one Saturday
20130921_141436.jpg

Found this one this morning
20130923_071527.jpg

Water changes can stimulate molting, cooler temperature of water indicated mostly
Sexually mature, saddled females tend to become berried after molting, which is growing, to accommodate up to 100 eggs per batch...
The female needs to be large enough to hold the eggs.

A sign that the eggs are close to hatching is a new saddle visible in the female. She is producing her next batch of eggs even before the current batch hatches, she will become an egg factory. Neither of ours have saddles yet. 30-45 days is the normal holding time after seeing berries.

If you have male shrimp buzzing around your tank, knocking into stuff like the glass, wood, plants, whatever, it's a good indication that breeding will happen as soon as possible - that behavior is males looking to mate, feverishly.

Clean water, proper parameters, it will happen. Don't overfeed. Don't worry.
Most shrimp can be pretty low maintenance once established.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom