RCS General Info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaGal

Aquarium Advice Addict
Since I have about a week and a half till I get RCS for my fry tank, I figure I might as well start. All I know about them is they're red and they're fun. And they're great for the fry tank. My plan is to get about 3 or 4 since it's a 3-gal fry tank. Can I get the lowdown on these little dudes? Anything you got. Thanks.

I don't own any but would like to so I'm hitching a ride.
From what I understand stability is important for keeping them happy. Covering filter intakes for the shrimplets sake.

I will look at those once I'm done playing this online game with my mom and can properly use the Internet. Don't have the greatest relationship with her, so I take what I get. I can do fairly stable in the fry tank. It's already got pantyhose over the intake since its got eggs in it. Do they have any real unique, entertaining behaviors? Just brings me pleasure to see weird stuff like that.

They're a great starter shrimp as they are fairly hardy as shrimp go. Still need to have good water quality. RCS are prolific breeders and in a matter of a few months, a few can become dozens as long as you get males and females. The links provided should be helpful.

They're a great starter shrimp as they are fairly hardy as shrimp go. Still need to have good water quality. RCS are prolific breeders and in a matter of a few months, a few can become dozens as long as you get males and females. The links provided should be helpful.

Thanks. I do believe the water quality is pretty good. I need to test, I know, but the filter media was in the main tank filter. It can't be that bad. Temp is pretty steady at 76, which I think is good for them. Was told its good for the babies. Lol

Thanks. I do believe the water quality is pretty good. I need to test, I know, but the filter media was in the main tank filter. It can't be that bad. Temp is pretty steady at 76, which I think is good for them. Was told its good for the babies. Lol

Live plants are needed. I love watching mine. Always active.

Actually I am currently trying to grow half of my 5g tank ground all java moss so I can take all the other plants out...I notice they love digging through the moss so I am try a moss carpet I guess

One question about shrimp + fish: I am thinking about adding RCS to a planted tank (20g long) that has 6 long fin blue danios and 6 gold tetras. The fish are small mouthed yet very active. I believe the adult shrimp will be fine but wondering how well the baby shrimp will do given the plant cover (see pic). The danios are constantly breeding but do a thorough job of digging in the moss and cruising the bottom looking for eggs. I occasionally see fry clinging to the glass but have not see any older fry except the one I am keeping in a floating nursery; I'm calling it Nemo and it will join the others when it gets over 1/2".

Anyhow, any thoughts about about baby shrimp in this setup?

Attachments

• image-713961098.jpg
    image-713961098.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 85
One question about shrimp + fish: I am thinking about adding RCS to a planted tank (20g long) that has 6 long fin blue danios and 6 gold tetras. The fish are small mouthed yet very active. I believe the adult shrimp will be fine but wondering how well the baby shrimp will do given the plant cover (see pic). The danios are constantly breeding but do a thorough job of digging in the moss and cruising the bottom looking for eggs. I occasionally see fry clinging to the glass but have not see any older fry except the one I am keeping in a floating nursery; I'm calling it Nemo and it will join the others when it gets over 1/2".

Anyhow, any thoughts about about baby shrimp in this setup?

Oh wow.. That's some pretty good cover for baby shrimp. You could also pile some rounded rocks with some DW for more hiding spaces.

Oh wow.. That's some pretty good cover for baby shrimp. You could also pile some rounded rocks with some DW for more hiding spaces.

The front side of the DW has crypto parva close by and not room for any rocks. At some point it should form a carpet. I was thinking about putting black marbles behind the DW with the idea that the danio eggs that fall out of the moss land in a safe place since they are non-adhesive. Instead of marbles maybe short lengths of black plastic pipe to increase the hiding spaces.

About baby RCS...do they instinctively hide or do they freely swim and crawl about the tank with no fear of predation?

I was thinking of using AquaBid. Is this a bad time of year (January, US East Coast Mid-Atlantic) for shipping? Should I wait until it gets warmer?

The front side of the DW has crypto parva close by and not room for any rocks. At some point it should form a carpet. I was thinking about putting black marbles behind the DW with the idea that the danio eggs that fall out of the moss land in a safe place since they are non-adhesive. Instead of marbles maybe short lengths of black plastic pipe to increase the hiding spaces.

About baby RCS...do they instinctively hide or do they freely swim and crawl about the tank with no fear of predation?

I was thinking of using AquaBid. Is this a bad time of year (January, US East Coast Mid-Atlantic) for shipping? Should I wait until it gets warmer?

Ha.ha. From what I understand baby RCS's are not the smartest tools in the shed when it comes to hiding ... At least at first. In my 75gal, I've only seen a couple ... Meaning they were out in the open. BUT, just yesterday, I found 2 juvenile RCS who got sucked into the filter, so clearly they are managing to breed in a tank full of barbs.

As for shipping, I'd assume the shipper would use heat packs, but I can't say for sure. There are members who do sell RCS... It's how I got mine.

Back
Top Bottom