Rcs look healthy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How big are the shrimp when there born I feel like mine are not breeding for some reason

They are fairly tiny. If they are in a tank with other fish they may be getting eaten. I have 9 RCS with Kuhli loaches and have only seen 2 babies. One is growing a bit but the other one was only visible because it caught my attention swimming. Smaller than 1mm. I'm new to shrimp too so my knowledge is limited with them. Ialso have a female shrimp that developes a line on her back occasionally. I noticed it when it sat on top of my filter and thought that maybe it had dried out along the top, but it is still healthy now.

There isn't any aggressive fish do you know how they hatch/ lay eggs

There isn't any aggressive fish do you know how they hatch/ lay eggs

Are they in with ANY fish besides Otos ???

They carry the eggs under their tail till they are ready to hatch. The babies hatch out right from Mom. If the female is young or new they sometimes drop eggs by accident.
So you may see a whole bunch of eggs and only end up with 3 babies at first.

Almost ANY fish will eat Shrimplets
Otos are the only completely Shrimp Safe fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They will also drop their eggs before they are ready if they get stressed so they may not be carrying the eggs long enough to fully develop if they are being scared by the other tank inhabitants. I am setting up a small aquarium to move mine today. I think the craziness of my kuhli is possibly causing them to drop their eggs prematurely.

Mine were a bit brighter and since adding Endlers to my tank they've faded some and aren't breeding as fast.

I feed mine Sakura algae wafers every other week. They feed off my sponge filters and the moss in the tank.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396797621.213141.jpg

Have your shrimp molted, also how long have you had them?

Oh yeah I have a Aqueon power filter with I sponge over intake is that okay?

Then they sound healthy. Their color can determine health, but keep in mind there's several types of RCS. Yours look similar to mine and I haven't had any issues. They still molt on a regular basis and I haven't had any deaths. If you want a deeper red color I'd find some of the purer RCS.

Your filter should be fine. I have an Aquaclear 30 with a sponge in the intake.

Back
Top Bottom