RCS murder mystery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How would adding more media create more bb? Your bb balances out to the amount of waste present in your tank. Easier way to explain it is the waste is food. How do you expect to get more Bb without more food? This is why we can't add a bunch of fish at once...
more surface area for bb to grow on..

But with no extra food it won't grow. I'd this idea worked everyone would just pack there filters with media after they cycle the tank and never have to worry about adding to many fish. Everything balances out. You will not get more be without adding initial waste like extra food to root away or add more fish. It won't grow without food. Your bb grows to deal with the waste in your tank that's it. This is why so many new people experience minicycle. They go out and buy a bunch of fish after their cycle and then the bb cant deal with the extra waste so it builds up to the point it can.

Most tanks have more than enough waste to feed/grow, additional BB.

Clarification - I will rephrase my comment, adding a second filter pad COULD allow double the BB amount for your tank. By having good surface area to grow and feed additional BB you will maximize your tanks ability to keep good water parameters. More filter surface area is better. A simple inexpensive way to help keep the tank levels stable.

I view the amount of filter material like this. If there is only just enough for your current set up then adding additional stock will cause havoc because there is no further surfaces for new BB growth. If your filter surfaces are only utilised at 50% then gradual additional stock will promote more BB growth on the available surfaces. A mini cycle may happen whist the BB catches up but should not be a problem if only small additional stock is added at a time.
I agree with OP that increased filter surfaces may not result in more total BB until additional bio load is present but BB will be distributed across all the media surfaces just waiting for the extra bio load. I take the very simple view that more media surface area is future proofing your system for additional stock.
I also have two large filters so that when the BB is reduced a little on maintenance, the other has the capacity to cope.
I know someone will disagree, but that's what this forum is for :)

Most tanks have more than enough waste to feed/grow, additional BB.

Clarification - I will rephrase my comment, adding a second filter pad COULD allow double the BB amount for your tank. By having good surface area to grow and feed additional BB you will maximize your tanks ability to keep good water parameters. More filter surface area is better. A simple inexpensive way to help keep the tank levels stable.

Your nitrates are still going to build up the same as before and therefore causing the same water quality. If there is no ammonia or nitrites showing your water is going to be the same in a week as if you had another filter into it. The only way to minimize nitrate is to do a water change or add some live plants.

I've watched people go out and buy another filter expecting it to lower there nitrates or have them build up slower. Nitrates is a straight by product of the amount of food you put in and the waste your fish produce adding an extra filter does not remove the food you are adding so why would it lower your nitrates?

I understand why you say the extra surface area is good in your filter but honestly if your not going to be adding more fish or overfeed then I don't see the point. Like I said before your nitrates are going to be the same. If you don't have enough bb to deal with your ammonia then I would add it but typically your bb will pack itself inside your media until you have enough. I've ran a heavily stocked grow out tank with an ac30 on it and never saw ammonia or nitrites so the sponge in that was able to deal with the waste from all my baby plecos.

Your nitrates are still going to build up the same as before and therefore causing the same water quality. If there is no ammonia or nitrites showing your water is going to be the same in a week as if you had another filter into it. The only way to minimize nitrate is to do a water change or add some live plants.

I've watched people go out and buy another filter expecting it to lower there nitrates or have them build up slower. Nitrates is a straight by product of the amount of food you put in and the waste your fish produce adding an extra filter does not remove the food you are adding so why would it lower your nitrates?

I understand why you say the extra surface area is good in your filter but honestly if your not going to be adding more fish or overfeed then I don't see the point. Like I said before your nitrates are going to be the same. If you don't have enough bb to deal with your ammonia then I would add it but typically your bb will pack itself inside your media until you have enough. I've ran a heavily stocked grow out tank with an ac30 on it and never saw ammonia or nitrites so the sponge in that was able to deal with the waste from all my baby plecos.

Already covered over feeding and doing more frequent pwc in post #19.

Also it does take weeks to grow enough BB to deal with additional Nitrates in media, not intended as an instant fix that is what the water changes are for.

Last edited:
Hi Guys really sorry for neglecting the post.

I have unexpectedly moved house (oppourtunity too good to miss) so the large aquascaped tank has been emptied for now and the fish in two smaller tanks for the meantime whilst the house gets sorted. So my problem no longer exists (for now) bit the danio's being removed has ment the last living rcs is still with us.

On the plus side in a few weeks once more settled into the house I can start from scratch which will be fun... Thanks guys and sorry for neglect again.

Already covered over feeding and doing more frequent pwc in post #19.

Also it does take weeks to grow enough BB to deal with additional Nitrates in media, not intended as an instant fix that is what the water changes are for.

Ok so adding the extra media is even more useless since there is less food to feed the bb..

Ok so adding the extra media is even more useless since there is less food to feed the bb..

OP's issue is over now. But in response to your comment...

Can see your thinking here, but I have excellent results keeping additional media in the tanks for bb to attach to, to adjust to levels as they should rise and fall. When I didn't do this, fluctuations in my water parameters allowed a less stable tank, and more problems in my tanks. Just relating my experiences here. I am not a scientist and have never purported to be, but I keep some nice tanks and aquatic creatures, and the extra media has been useful for me. I have seen more stable tank parameters and had much less loss of fish life, etc.

OP and you can keep your tanks however you wish you have the ability to decide for yourself, since the OP's issue is over, this is my last post on this thread, feel free to PM me if you need to continue the side topic.

OP's issue is over now. But in response to your comment...

Can see your thinking here, but I have excellent results keeping additional media in the tanks for bb to attach to, to adjust to levels as they should rise and fall. When I didn't do this, fluctuations in my water parameters allowed a less stable tank, and more problems in my tanks. Just relating my experiences here. I am not a scientist and have never purported to be, but I keep some nice tanks and aquatic creatures, and the extra media has been useful for me. I have seen more stable tank parameters and had much less loss of fish life, etc.

OP and you can keep your tanks however you wish you have the ability to decide for yourself, since the OP's issue is over, this is my last post on this thread, feel free to PM me if you need to continue the side topic.

I'm not thinking I'm just going with my knowledge.

]In turns of fluctuating, what do you mean? Extra bb would only take of your ammonia nitrites and nitrates. If at the end of one week you have 10ppm and the next you have 20ppm that is because you either fed more which produced extra waste or your had plants dying off or you just didn't clean as good the week before.

Op. I have lots of media for my 75g discus. I have two seapora 136 breeding filter sponges and my eheim 2213 canister. If I was to add three discus right now at 4inch (properly measured to the start of the caudal) I would most likely see some ammonia and for sure a rise in nitrates. It's because the bb meets it equilibrium and stays there until more food is added. Granted I do a 25%every other day and a 50% for a real good clean each Sunday and add ferts for my plants. But with more fish comes more food and therefore causing more waste.

Back
Top Bottom