RCS or ghost shrimp with fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want some shrimp for my fry tank to help munch excess food and just to look pretty. It's guppy fry and probably later on german blue ram fry, maybe angels or cories. What shrimp species should I get? Unfiltered ten with daily water changes (probably add a filter once babies are bigger), a heater, and some anarchis with Flourite substrate.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

GBR will appreciate the shrimp buffet if you add one to a tank with shrimp.
There shouldn't be any visible food scraps. I've got cherries and Amanos, they do forage in the gravel and moss but they also eat at feeding time so I have to make sure I'm adding food to supplement their diet.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Definantly not ghosts, they will eat some fry. Have you thought of bamboo shrimp? In a fry tank, there is tiny leftovers, perfect for the bamboo to filter out.

You might try a sponge filter. The fry and shrimp can snack on the filter buffet.

Bamboo Shrimp would starve without water movement. They do best in at least a 20g with a perch under the outflow.

If you ever see a Bamboo Shrimp scavenging on the substrate, it's starving.

RCS and/or Amanos might work.

Or MTS snails are good scavengers

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stay away from the Ghost Shrimp as they will kill and eat anything hey can over power. All of the fish you listed except the guppys and coris will likely eat all the shrimp you stock. The cichlid fry will start nipping at the shrimp as soon as they get some size on them well before they could join their parents without becoming a snack. The cory fry are far too small to rear with anything other than snails.

You might try a sponge filter. The fry and shrimp can snack on the filter buffet.

Bamboo Shrimp would starve without water movement. They do best in at least a 20g with a perch under the outflow.

If you ever see a Bamboo Shrimp scavenging on the substrate, it's starving.

RCS and/or Amanos might work.

Or MTS snails are good scavengers

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, I was suggested this. Would the work if they perched on the sponge filter.

I'm trying to finagle some RCS, jut low grade, from a local cichlid guy.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Back
Top Bottom