Red Amano Shrimp???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
True, but you have to think/know we would have heard about it first. Either from the Germans (where most new strains are cultivated) or from southeast Asians (where the rest are cultivated/many are found)

And I just meant many uninformed LFSes would just accept what a 'knowledgable' supplier tells/sells them.

My LFS tries selling the few RCS they get in as bumblebee shrimp. They give the scientific name of a saltwater fish. So that's what I'm taking about.
Honestly man, no disrespect but I think it's kinda shortsighted to assume that if a new strain comes out that 'we' would've heard about it. Breeders have no obligation to hobbyists, and some strains are kept under wraps until they have a large breeding stock, then they open the floodgates to the importers and it starts popping up on wholesaler lists everywhere. It makes sense to do this with some strains because you'd want to flood the market with your own product before anyone else has time to compete.

Then again, it takes nothing but creativity to name a new strain they could have gotten in a 'redder than normal' group of amanos and decided that they should be called as such. Or it could be a new strain all together.

Like I said earlier, it's good to be skeptical about new strains, especially when LFS like to rename things, but the wholesaler lists that I've waded through and ordered from are fairly accurate. So I agree with the skepticism but I personally don't like calling people scammers unless there is actual evidence of it.

Not to divert, but what makes you think that most of the new fish/invert strains are cultivated in germany?

jetajockey said:
Honestly man, no disrespect but I think it's kinda shortsighted to assume that if a new strain comes out that 'we' would've heard about it. Breeders have no obligation to hobbyists, and some strains are kept under wraps until they have a large breeding stock, then they open the floodgates to the importers and it starts popping up on wholesaler lists everywhere. It makes sense to do this with some strains because you'd want to flood the market with your own product before anyone else has time to compete.

Then again, it takes nothing but creativity to name a new strain they could have gotten in a 'redder than normal' group of amanos and decided that they should be called as such. Or it could be a new strain all together.

Like I said earlier, it's good to be skeptical about new strains, especially when LFS like to rename things, but the wholesaler lists that I've waded through and ordered from are fairly accurate. So I agree with the skepticism but I personally don't like calling people scammers unless there is actual evidence of it.

Not to divert, but what makes you think that most of the new fish/invert strains are cultivated in germany?

No disrespect taken o_O. I love a discussion.

About Germany; I read A LOT and many of the hobbyists/breeders in Germany buy up much of the stock of newly discovered species because a lot of scientists from Germany go research in Asia.

A good example is the Microcrab which is a freshwater species found in Thailand. Discovered there, German breeders/hobbyists brought it in in an attempt to breed it but failed, so there is a lot of German literature on it.

Hey you make a great point about it being shortsighted, but as part of my schooling has dealt in marketing, I know a business would try to hype up interest in the stock. Obviously it would differ a little in the fish world, but I have to find it hard to believe the very first place any of us (the 'we') would hear about a new stock is in THAT LFS, which I know mislabeled stock in the past. <- that fact was a large part of my assumption.

No disrespect taken o_O. I love a discussion.

About Germany; I read A LOT and many of the hobbyists/breeders in Germany buy up much of the stock of newly discovered species because a lot of scientists from Germany go research in Asia.

A good example is the Microcrab which is a freshwater species found in Thailand. Discovered there, German breeders/hobbyists brought it in in an attempt to breed it but failed, so there is a lot of German literature on it.
There are a lot of new strains that come out of germany, but my point was that you made germany seem like 'the place' for new fish strains when it's really asia that it is happening in. Asia is where a huge amount of fish farms and strain developing happens, so to make it seem like they just sit in the shadow of what germany does is highly inaccurate.
Hey you make a great point about it being shortsighted, but as part of my schooling has dealt in marketing, I know a business would try to hype up interest in the stock.
I'm glad your schooling on marketing has lead you down that path, I have experience in marketing also, and I am just speaking on what I have seen happen in this hobby in the past.

Obviously it would differ a little in the fish world, but I have to find it hard to believe the very first place any of us (the 'we') would hear about a new stock is in THAT LFS, which I know mislabeled stock in the past. <- that fact was a large part of my assumption.

I agree, it's doubtful we'd hear about a new strain from some random LFS that doesn't know half of the stock list, and I've already said that skepticism is the best route in this.

However I think it's just as bad to respond with saying its 'not possible'. Fish strain developers don't send out a bulletin to hobbyists letting them know when new stuff pops up. And the wholesale importer lists are where these new strains are going to pop up, so it's not a stretch to think that they might have something odd listed that the LFS has access to and the common hobbyist does not.

Some wholesalers mislabel certain fish and inverts also, it happens. With questionable strains I recommend calling (if possible) the wholesaler and asking for actual photos of the stock and getting some person to person information on it before ordering it.

But anyhow, we can disagree about where new strains come from till we are blue in the face, my biggest concern is the attitude towards the LFS in question. I don't know of what they've done other than mislabel some of their stock.

I know we haven't named names on this place, but if it was my LFS I would be pretty upset for anyone to even make that assumption. Ignorance is one thing, deceitful business practices are another.

You're right about Asia, that wasnt my point. Nor is it the point of what we are talking about lol.

A lot of businesses will do deceitful things. A lot of suppliers of those businesses will do even more deceitful things.

My only point, is if you don't think about everything, then you're not doing your part to protect yourself. When I make a purchase, now that I've gotten a little older and a tiny bit wiser, I've learned you put your research into everything. Part of that research, as I've learned in my Franciscan university, is to question everything.

And when it comes down to it, when we look at the odds, I will rephrase my hasty "not possible" quote.

Not probable.

LFS is a nice guy and in no way I have seen using deceitful business practices. That said I don't think anyone was insinuating that he was.

Dwarf shrimp are new to many people including my LFS guy and myself included so accurate information is important but since it is new to the average fish keeper AND seller accurate information is hard to come by!

I can look on the internet and search for an Orange shrimp and find them with the same pictures describing many varieties, Orange Bee, Mandarin, Sunkist, Orange Shrimp, but obviously one picture can't actually be two completely different Genus of shrimp, even though they look the same there have to be different genetics, but they ARE all orange colored!

You sometimes only can go with what you are told. Sometimes innocently ignorant, not maliciously so.

I hope we can continue to have constructive, friendly, informative conversations...

I don't want to buy a misrepresented Dwarf Shrimp, innocently or not, so I value the assistance and input of the AA community. Thanks for the lively conversation and input.

I was at my LFS. They had what looked like a Black Amano and a dark Blue Amano.
They were labeled Black Algae Eating Shrimp and Blue AES.

I may have to buy one, just cuz I've never seen these. They were giant compared to the RCS with them.

Coursair said:
I was at my LFS. They had what looked like a Black Amano and a dark Blue Amano.
They were labeled Black Algae Eating Shrimp and Blue AES.

I may have to buy one, just cuz I've never seen these. They were giant compared to the RCS with them.

If you go back, can you take some pictures? I'm very curious. I imagine them looking like OEBT's, without the orange eyes, and of course being larger :)

If they are still there when I go back, I will take pics. There wasn't great lighting on them before. I'll do my best.

They were about $8 each, so I may try 1 or 2 and see how they do.

Coursair said:
If they are still there when I go back, I will take pics. There wasn't great lighting on them before. I'll do my best.

They were about $8 each, so I may try 1 or 2 and see how they do.

They'd be worth breeding at that price!

MABJ said:
It just occurred to me that even shrimp can be dyed..

That's true, I read that certain foods will dye shrimp a certain color. Someone did a study on it, when his shrimp turned yellow.

Austin.b said:
That's true, I read that certain foods will dye shrimp a certain color. Someone did a study on it, when his shrimp turned yellow.

I wonder where it is. I'd love to read it. I wonder if he included a harm factor

MABJ said:
I wonder where it is. I'd love to read it. I wonder if he included a harm factor

I'll look for the link right now :) no, his shrimp weren't harmed, but they did turn back to their original color once he stopped feeding a certain food.

Austin.b said:
I'll look for the link right now :) no, his shrimp weren't harmed, but they did turn back to their original color once he stopped feeding a certain food.

Very interesting!

I'll definitely have to research a 'red' food!

Back
Top Bottom