Red cherry shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Canned green beans. Just split them open pull out the seeds and rinse them. My shrimp, plecos and cories love them.

Shrimp pellets, mine mostly survive off NLS fry formula (there in my fry tank) and the occasional hikari bottom feeder pellet and NLS wafers.

I primarily feed mine Hikari Shrimp Cuisine and Hikari Crab Cuisine, much less expensive and I think they like it better. Hikari bottom feeder wafers, orange wrap and has a Clown fish on it as well as a Cory and something else!

But small/tiny amounts.

Plus tons of other stuff. Give mine lots of variety. Just no flaked food due to concern of quick producing ammonia.

Add piece of plain/ no flavorings or additives bird cuddle bone to tank for extra calcium to munch on if they want it.

Also use dried Oak leaves untreated of course, which I gather in the autumn. Will be gathering and drying some additional leaves this summer before fall.

Just tried some Indian almond leaves and I think I like the Oak leaves better for the shrimp.

I have Fire Reds, Mixed Cherry shrimp and OEBT shrimp in 3 different tanks and a planted bowl.

Thanks for the replys. And the oak leaves really? They will eat it

Yes. Specifically I used Burr Oak leaves. They are sturdy leaves and trees and retain their leaves through winter. I picked them about the time most the leaves had fallen last autumn. But in addition they are tough. Maybe more tannins. They tend to color the water just some, amber colored...

The Indian Almond leaves I used, caused the water to turn dark blackish brown!

The leaves float for a few days and then sink.

You can move the leaf wherever you want them, usually in the front corner is where I put mine, so I can watch the shrimp graze on them. I guess it builds biofilm on it and I guess other stuff the shrimp like. Snails love it too.

The new leaf is added right after a pwc so as to keep the tannins and water in there as long as possible.

I keep the older leaf in there until it is just a little skeleton. But add a new leaf when the old one starts to look like a skeleton, lol.

The tannins toughen and condition the shrimp. I just moved and am going to buy one of those trees to plant just for my shrimp. ;) Well, I like them too. haha.

What should I feed my red cherry shrimp??? Besides algae wafers

More like ... what can't I feed them? Practically, if you can feed it to a fish, you can feed it to a shrimp.

Aside from algae wafers, vegetables like spinach leaves, broccoli and or zucchini (among others), consider Hikari Crab Cuisine. It's rich in nutrients to aid them during molting. My RCS and Tiger go nuts over it.

Oak / Maple leaves are a hit with shrimp. It's not so much the leaves they eat but rather the microbes that colonize said leaves.

Back
Top Bottom