Red cherry shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skifflexie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had ghost shrimp and I really like them. I really want red cherry shrimp, but I want more than just 5-10, and they ate so pricey. How hard is it to breed the red cherry shrimp in just a shrimp tank? What would I need to maintain a shrimp tank that would allow the babies to grow?

As long as you have males and females they will breed. In my shrimp tank I just have a ton of moss and a sponge filter. Make sure the tank is fully cycled before adding the shrimp. I apparently don't have any males it looks like tho so I'm going to be ordering more. Make sure to acclimate them well, I didn't do this and a lot of mine died off because of it...I like to keep some rocks and drift wood in the tank too for hiding spots, but I dunno if hiding spots are necessary or not.

first the red cherry shrimp are not pricey, if you want pricey look up taiwan bees. they go up to 100s of dollars for even one. if they are pricey in your lfs its because they are over pricing it buy online for cheaper prices. and the cherries are extremely easy to breed and you would need java moss or anyother moss because shrimp love that and driftwood if you can with other live plants.

and having a shrimp only tank will get you a fast colony because many fish will eat the babies and even try to eat the adults!! but if you want fish go with small ones. 100% safe are pygmy cories, otocinclus catfish, and kuhli loaches. and acclimate very slowly using the drip method, maybe 1 drop per second and wait for the water in container to increase 2 times more and empty and repeat one more time. many shrimps die of shock quickly if not acclimated well so keep this in thought. good luck though !!! :)

first the red cherry shrimp are not pricey, if you want pricey look up taiwan bees. they go up to 100s of dollars for even one. if they are pricey in your lfs its because they are over pricing it buy online for cheaper prices. and the cherries are extremely easy to breed and you would need java moss or anyother moss because shrimp love that and driftwood if you can with other live plants.

When I say pricey I mean for shrimp, ghost shrimp cost .30 cents, compared to my local fish store for 3.49 per shrimp. I'm also a college kid so things that sent expensive for most are expensive for me.

I do plan on getting like 5-10 to start with; I just haven't decided on where to buy them, do they travel ok shipping wise???

Also how long does it take for group of 5-10 to reproduce and become a large group?

and having a shrimp only tank will get you a fast colony because many fish will eat the babies and even try to eat the adults!! but if you want fish go with small ones. 100% safe are pygmy cories, otocinclus catfish, and kuhli loaches. and acclimate very slowly using the drip method, maybe 1 drop per second and wait for the water in container to increase 2 times more and empty and repeat one more time. many shrimps die of shock quickly if not acclimated well so keep this in thought. good luck though !!! :)

Thanks! ;) how big of tank can I use? I have an empty 5g old glow tank, would that work? I have some old 10g but theyre at my parents house, and i think my roommate will kill me if i set up anymore tanks.... i have my 29g 15g and two bettas Also is it ok to have ghost and cherries in the same tank?

um the bigger the better which means more shrimps and happier shrimps. um dont get ghost shrimp they tend to eat other fish shrimp etc if you didnt know. and i dont know if there is a rule not to post other websites here but check out theshrimpfarm.com
shrimpfever.com bobstropicalplants.com or alphaprobreeders.com you may be tempted to buy other shrimp in these websites but if you can stick with cherries especially that you are a beginner. not saying that you dont know how care for them its just that they are more expensive and hardy to care for but if you chose so stick with neocardina species very hardy species.

When I say pricey I mean for shrimp, ghost shrimp cost .30 cents, compared to my local fish store for 3.49 per shrimp. I'm also a college kid so things that sent expensive for most are expensive for me.

I do plan on getting like 5-10 to start with; I just haven't decided on where to buy them, do they travel ok shipping wise???

Also how long does it take for group of 5-10 to reproduce and become a large group?

Cherries are generally sold for $0.80-$1 in the hobby. Most LFS just over price them. Even in our classified here, most ppl sell for less than $1 each.

Unless you are looking for the higher grades like painted fire red.

for 4 bucks a pop, you can definitely buy WAY higher grade from local hobbyists or even buy online (online does have shipping which can hurt).

RCS are pretty hardy shrimp, so traveling wise isn't too bad on them (if from online, most sellers will have a bit of java moss for them to hang on to)

Cherry-Shrimp-Grading-for-Freshwater-Shrimp-in-Aquariums-Red-Cherry-Shrimp.png

Homelessaquatics.com has sakura reds ( rcs just deeper red like a fire painted) for $1 or maybe $2 a shrimp i think its a $1 then like $15 shipping depending on your order he has some nice stuff he has a fb page too

To answer an earlier question, you can keep Ghost shrimp with cherries, though Ghosts may eat some baby cherries. If well fed, they'll pretty much leave them though. I had Ghosts and Snowballs, the white form of cherry shrimp, in a 29G, and both bred in there, the numbers of Snowballs increased steadily, despite there being a number of fish in there too, such as danios, kuhli loaches & cories. I'm sure they ate their share, but I still had new shrimp coming along steadily.

Make sure there are plants. Shrimp like to graze biofilm from them, and they provide good hiding places too.

In an all shrimp tank, if you ensure some good hiding places for the baby shrimp, and the Ghosts will likely leave most of them alone. You might even get Ghost shrimp babies showing up, without fish to eat them. They drop eggs, which rise to the surface, hatch and then morph into tiny shrimplets roughly four days later. If there's enough biofilm and microfauna in the water to support them, you may well get baby Ghosts too.

Back
Top Bottom