Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Invertebrates
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-27-2013, 12:47 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Red Cherry Shrimp advice needed!

I am officially turning my 10 gallon into a red cherry shrimp species only tank. Me being a noob I have quite a few questions and I would love anyone's input/advice!

1. What substrate is the best but not overly expensive. I will have low light plants some with roots. I really want something shrimp can sift through.

2. I'm really stuck on what filter to buy. At the moment I have a tetra whisperer 30 but I'm going to use that for a 20 gallon long tank so Id need to buy a new filter for this tank. I want something that is good for both shrimp and plants. I read that plants require water movement which prevents algae build up and gives circulation.

3. Do multiple pieces of drift wood look better than one long center price?

I have Petco Petsmart as well as two other lfs around me so I have lots of options. I'd rather not order stuff online so I don't had to deal with shipping. I don't really have a budget I just don't want to pay a ton of money for stuff that won't last long. I also am aware I will need root tabs and ferts. If anyone is currently in the same situation feel free to tag along!Thanks guys

Old 01-27-2013, 01:34 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Aquaclear filters are good. Just use a sponge over the intake. I use Fluval prefilter sponges from Amazon. You can buy at stores also.

I use sand in my tanks. My Shrimp love it.
I like black sand.

I have lots of plants.

Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:17 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Is sand ok for rooting plants too? And what size HOB should I get because right now I have one for 30 gallons and it creates lots of flow
Old 01-27-2013, 10:42 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammywammy View Post
Is sand ok for rooting plants too? And what size HOB should I get because right now I have one for 30 gallons and it creates lots of flow
If there is too much flow you'll blow Shrimp around. And yes sand is fine, look at my tanks on my profile.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I see you use aqua soil for another tank. You still prefer sand for a shrimp tank? Is it easy to clean and what filter do you use for your RCS?
Old 01-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I see you use aqua soil for another tank. You still prefer sand for a shrimp tank? Is it easy to clean and what filter do you use for your RCS?
AS is for breeding CRS. I hate it. My plants love it, but they uproot so easy.

Sand, plants root well. I don't clean it much at all. I may swirl water around and then siphon up floating debris, not too close so I don't suck up sand.

I use a cheap Aqueon HOB that came with kit. I use a sponge over the intake. Fluval prefilter sponge.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:21 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Quote:
I am officially turning my 10 gallon into a red cherry shrimp species only tank. Me being a noob I have quite a few questions and I would love anyone's input/advice!

1. What substrate is the best but not overly expensive. I will have low light plants some with roots. I really want something shrimp can sift through.

2. I'm really stuck on what filter to buy. At the moment I have a tetra whisperer 30 but I'm going to use that for a 20 gallon long tank so Id need to buy a new filter for this tank. I want something that is good for both shrimp and plants. I read that plants require water movement which prevents algae build up and gives circulation.

3. Do multiple pieces of drift wood look better than one long center price?

I have Petco Petsmart as well as two other lfs around me so I have lots of options. I'd rather not order stuff online so I don't had to deal with shipping. I don't really have a budget I just don't want to pay a ton of money for stuff that won't last long. I also am aware I will need root tabs and ferts. If anyone is currently in the same situation feel free to tag along!Thanks guys
1. Petco sells a black sand substrate which I recommend. The darker the substrate the more rich red color the RCS will show.

2. Aqua clear 20 will do fine.

3. Up to you, but in a 10gal, I'd go with two pieces of DW.

Plants will be the main thing... Must have with RCS. I use Anubias, java fern and moss. All do not have to be planted into the substrate.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hmm the aqueon 10 is about 10 dollars and the aqua clear 20 is 20. I wonder if its better to get the aqueon so I have lower flow and the shrimp aren't being blown around.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:03 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Hmm the aqueon 10 is about 10 dollars and the aqua clear 20 is 20. I wonder if its better to get the aqueon so I have lower flow and the shrimp aren't being blown around.
Either will work. Aquaclears are preferred by most. But I'm using the Aqueon 10 with success.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:12 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Corsair how does your aqueon work out for you? I have problems with mine. If you take the hood off and see the left compartment where the water enters after traveling up the intake, mine goes over the wall and out the filter when it is suppose to go around through the media first.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:15 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Corsair how does your aqueon work out for you? I have problems with mine. If you take the hood off and see the left compartment where the water enters after traveling up the intake, mine goes over the wall and out the filter when it is suppose to go around through the media first.
Mine is ok. If the media gets dirty it does bypass easily. Try rinsing your filter pad in used tank water. See if that helps.

I plan to buy a couple of Aquaclears this year. They are quieter as well.

I have so many plants I don't stress over my filters much. They are mainly to move water.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:19 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well I replaced my filter(used old filter media to seed it for a couple of days) and the gravel to sand so it probably killed all my bb. My ammonia keeps bursting but I have many plants in. Hopefully this is just a mini cycle but I need a working cycle to help remove some of that ammonia. I have 5 platies and a betta in the tank. Once I set up my 20 long all of those will go in the new tank and the 10 gallon will just be for shrimp and when the tank is safe otos or some nano shrimp
Old 03-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Well I replaced my filter(used old filter media to seed it for a couple of days) and the gravel to sand so it probably killed all my bb. My ammonia keeps bursting but I have many plants in. Hopefully this is just a mini cycle but I need a working cycle to help remove some of that ammonia. I have 5 platies and a betta in the tank. Once I set up my 20 long all of those will go in the new tank and the 10 gallon will just be for shrimp and when the tank is safe otos or some nano shrimp
5 Platies and a Betta is quite a load for a 10g.
Keep up on water changes. Throw some Prime in as well. You can dose 5x recommended dosage in emergencies to make the Ammonia less toxic.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to bud29
Here is a write-up I did on starting a shrimp tank, maybe it can help out a bit Guide to Starting a Shrimp Tank
Old 03-02-2013, 12:40 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Cammywammy your PM box is full. You need to empty it before I can send the answer to the question you PM'd me about.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:52 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Great guide! How many fish should I keep in my 10 gallon while it cycles so that I can have it ready for shrimp? They will all be moved to my 20 gallon when I start it up. And get my shrimp.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:12 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thanks! You don't need that much bio-load to cycle a 10 gallon - something like 1 platy would be more than enough if you are doing a fish-in cycle.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud29 View Post
Thanks! You don't need that much bio-load to cycle a 10 gallon - something like 1 platy would be more than enough if you are doing a fish-in cycle.
Would 1 betta be the same? That way I can separate species and give the platies the 20 long for now. Will 5 platies be ok to cycle a 20 long? I hope so.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:18 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

1 betta probably won't have as much bio-load but you could probably do it. 5 platys is definitely enough to cycle a 20 gallon, perhaps even a bit TOO much.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:25 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok so would 4 platies and a betta be good for a 20 an 1 platie be good for the 10 then like you said.

Tags
cherry, cherry shrimp, red cherry, red cherry shrimp, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com