Red Cherry Shrimp and Scarlet Badis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have seen pics a few years ago of a few "sports" meaning same specie as CPO just rare occasional different color. But was told over and over they do not exist as a commercially available stock. Very interesting about the other variety. Thanks for checking on their name. (y)

I just found this thread and I'm glad I did, I am thinking about getting RCS and Badis badis so maybe I'll end up just putting them in a heavily planted tank....ooh now I want another tank ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would venture to guess that virtually every colour variant we have in the aquarium hobby today exists because when it did pop up somewhere, somebody noticed and took the trouble to try to reproduce it. 'Sports' can show up in any species and while they can't always be reproduced successfully, many of them end up as 'new' variants for us to enjoy.

Read somewhere, recently, about someone who selectively bred a lizard species, one native to his home area. Started out a bit blue, a couple of decades later, his stock was nearly solid blue. Some of them either escaped or were released and the local lizard population is now nearly solid blue too. Clearly it hasn't made the lizards more vulnerable, so the characteristic has been passed along.

Be amazing to be the person who managed to produce a new colour variant in some of the inverts !

I just found this thread and I'm glad I did, I am thinking about getting RCS and Badis badis so maybe I'll end up just putting them in a heavily planted tank....ooh now I want another tank ;)

It's confusing. But Badis badis are much bigger than Scarlet Badis and will eat your Shrimp.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+836+1074&pcatid=1074

Scarlet Badis aka Dario dario are less than an inch and won't bother adult Shrimp. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+836+2823&pcatid=2823

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417559470.047116.jpg

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it is confusing, badis badis and Dario Dario aka Scarlet badis :eek: It was a typo I meant Scarlett badis

But yeah badis badis would definitely harm shrimp :nono: don't but those in your shrimp tank for sure

I have 2 scarlet badis in my 5 gallon shrimp tank. Only occasionally they will snatch up a baby shrimp (very tiny). There are about the same size as most of the adult shrimp and some of the shrimp are even a little bigger! I also have three scarlets in my 29 gallon planted tank. I'm assuming it's because there are plenty of hiding places, but I always have a growing population of my cherry shrimp in that tank!

I have 2 scarlet badis in my 5 gallon shrimp tank. Only occasionally they will snatch up a baby shrimp (very tiny). There are about the same size as most of the adult shrimp and some of the shrimp are even a little bigger! I also have three scarlets in my 29 gallon planted tank. I'm assuming it's because there are plenty of hiding places, but I always have a growing population of my cherry shrimp in that tank!

Just curious, is there anything else in that 29 gal?

My 2.5 gallon is going awesome! The Java moss is growing fabulously, and the stained water makes it look so cool! Behind the driftwood I added one of those Anubias Nana on a lava rock with a lot of Java moss that you get at PetCo, makes a great little hideout between the leaves and the driftwood. Puffer self feeds himself with the snails, but there are so many snails and driftwood that they have plenty of time to reproduce before he gets em all! I love my puffer, isn't as bold as the other one and stays at the back of the tank, can't hand feed him like Gupta (R.I.P. Gupta) but he's still pretty awesome!

Nils

Anybody know how I can make the puffer braver so that I can hand feed him like my old one?

Nils

Um, I have a question. Could I also fit in a Scarlet Badis with my Dwarf Puffer and crayfish?

Nils

I wouldn't think that's a good combo. Badis are shy, small, tend to hide low down, at least, in my experience they do. If the cray got lucky he might catch it, unless it's one of the very small species like CPO.

Yeah, I thought that it might not be such a good idea lol. I think I'll leave it and maybe add a Scarlet Badis to my 10 gallon. The puffer would probably end up tearing it up.

Nils

Back
Top Bottom