Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Invertebrates
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Have you previously used the chi for anything other than shrimp? Have you tried any other inverts in tank to see how they respond? Cherries are very hardy shrimp and survive most water conditions.

fluval make there own water conditioner and shrimp supplement which is very good, you may try sourcing some out online and giving a try.

Quick thought but what temp is the tank at?

Old 04-28-2013, 05:21 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

The chi has only been used for cherry shrimp, but I've got two snails in there as well. Temp is normally around 26C. The shrimp seem happy until they get the white line and die, although I've had some drop their eggs as well.
Any chance of parasites? I would think that would make them all sick and die within a short time of each other?

I ordered the mineral stone today. My water is very soft.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Interesting. If the snails are good then the calcium may not be the problem although the addition of extra won't hurt. If it was that you'd find the snails having issues with there shells also, it also rules out copper. How many are you adding at a time? Are you buying from the same shop each time? As it could be the transition of conditions. How are you adding with regards to water change? Stupid question, but are you using different equipment in you shrimp and tropical tanks? From when you notice the white line what is the etd?
Old 04-29-2013, 07:33 AM   #14

I did buy the shrimp from different sellers and thought the ones that died within a few days might be struggling with the transition. I have to add some water every day to make up for evaporation. I add a dechlorinator (without any stress coat or other stuff, as I read that might harm the shrimp) and then let the water stand for about a day. I do a 10-20% water change every week.
I sometimes use the same net and siphon as I use for my tropical tank, and the snails came from the tropical tank as well, so in theory there could be cross-contamination. However, all fish in my tropical tank are happy. I could have had parasites that came with the shrimp or moss. I've found a few planaria worms (and taken them out) and I used to see tiny white specks moving around and living on the moss balls. Not sure if they could harm the shrimp.
How much calcium is too high? When I added the calcium tablet it went way above what I could measure, but it's back to 'normal' now.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:33 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Don't use Pets at home for shrimp I've found there stock are usually quite old and of low quality.

I'd give up on the calcium tabs and use a piece of cuttlebone as it gives a slow release of calcium rather than large bursts.

The white specs sound like snail eggs specifically pond or trumpet snails but if you haven't found any that's good, wouldn't bother shrimp just a pest to get rid off.

The white line from left to right is the moulting break, have you found any molt? It could be that because of the high calcium they are dying during the molt and even finding it hard to acclimatise after due to under layers being hardend too quick. It's not unrare to lose during moulting but it is at the rate you are.

Topping up I wouldn't worry about, although it is frowned upon by ppl on these forums and over the net, it is not uncommon in nano tanks as I have also had the same issue with my Fluval Edge.

Personally I'd try not adding any calcium at all for now, get some shrimp specific food as well as a variety of treats (bloodworm,daphnia, etc) and run of the mill fish flakes crushed and see how it goes. Don't add after deaths for a while and see the results.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:02 PM   #16

I've stopped the calcium a while ago and I don't use the Pets at home for stock - I don't like their fish either! I've got good shrimp food (biomax) and supplements now and waiting for the mineral stone to arrive. I'm losing shrimps at a much slower rate now and some are moulting without a problem so I hope I'm about to solve the problem. The shrimp aquarium is my daughter's and I was hoping it would give her much joy, not agony!
Thanks for everyone's replies.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:35 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

How did you acclimate the shrimps? They will die over a week if you didn't acclimate them properly. You have to set up a drip and let the tank water drip into a container with their old water for over 2-3 hours, and then scoop the shrimps into the new tank.

Also, if your gh is lower than 4, then they will definitely have molting issues, which it what it sounds like you have. My water has a gh of zero. So i use a gh booster. so everytime i water change i add conditioner and gh booster.

Tags
cherry, cherry shrimp, dyi, dying, line, molt, molting, red, red cherry, red cherry shrimp, rim, shrimp, white

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com