Red Cherry Shrimp Growth: hatching to adult

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oscarchic11

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am new to Shrimp keeping and as such had some questions... like how fast shrimplets grow, and other things. i ordered 15 RCS from a site member and got them about a week ago, but when i got them i had 22 little surprises in the bag with my largest female. apparently she was berried and the eggs hatched during shipping! so here is a picture diary of their growth. i will post 1 pic a week until they are 1/2 inch in size, then every 2 weeks until 1 is berried, showing adulthood... if any other new shrimp keepers have any ?'s about baby shrimp feel free to post here as i few experienced shrimp keepers will hopefully be following. :bb:

The first pic shows the mother and one of her babies when i recieved them last tuesday. The second was taken 2day, approximate age 1 week.

2012-09-18_11-20-32_957-1.jpg

Mom and baby!!

2012-09-23_15-40-11_687-1.jpg

Baby in airline tubing. Approximately 1/16 of an inch long

oscarchic11 said:
The first pic showz the mother and one of her babies when i recieved them last tuesday. The second was taken 2day, approximate age 1 week.

Mom and baby!!

Baby in airline tubing. Approximately 1/16 of an inch long

Very cool!!!

I have crs as well and one of my berried females just had babies, I didn't realize till I saw this little guy on my dw. Seriously tiny!!

Attachments

• image-3511242858.jpg
    image-3511242858.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 347
Rcs breeder box

image-3038005024.jpg

Attachments

• image-2482684775.jpg
    image-2482684775.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 357
glass shrimp

my momma glass shrimp had 5 babies last night out of 6 eggs... but she now isnt moving much and is laying upside down... i read they molt after eggs hatch, could she be getting to molt? she still moves occasionally, but is worrying me... any ideas anyone?

She ended up dying. Now i really need to keep her babies alive. Many of you may be wondering why im trying to breed glass/ghost shrimp instead of buying more... they are 1.40 each in maine, where i live.

i cant find them up here in maine, ordered they from someone on here... i was talking about the price of glass/grass/ghost/feeder shrimp tho (same shrimp, dif names)... buuuut... my big momma shrimp, the one i suspect to be the mother of my baby rcs, molted 2day, and is now hiding under my filter, trying to lure in a mate! more babies soon i hope...

Srry guys for being late on the update. The shrimplets are a tiny bit bigger, but not by much... and are showing a bit more color. I also have 3 saddled females, and lots of molting lately, but i dont think i have any mature males yet... darn it!!

i have last surviving shrimplet, but it is about an 8th of an inch long now. i had a berried female but she either got killed by my new angel(who is hopefully getting a new tank soon for himself) or dropped her eggs. pretty sure she just dropped them. hopefully ill have lots more eggs in the near future tho!

I have crs as well and one of my berried females just had babies, I didn't realize till I saw this little guy on my dw. Seriously tiny!!

Just for the record, RCS (red cherry shrimp) and CRS (crystal red shrimp) are very very different. RCS are one of the easiest shrimp to keep, CRS are much harder to keep. The first picture is of a Red Cherry Shrimp, the second is of a Crystal Red Shrimp:

Attachments

• RCS.jpg
    RCS.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 152
  • CRS.jpg
    CRS.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 114
CRS can also mean cherry red shrimp, same as RCS...

Yep ... I've heard of them referred to as Cherry Red Shrimp. I'd say for arguments sake, on this forum lets have CRS refer to Crystal Reds and RCS for Red Cherries.

BTW bud29 ... those are nice, very clear and obvious pics of the two types ... are they yours?

Ah ... CBS ... very pretty shrimp! I though of doing crystals along with my RCS ... but I'm thinking of going with Red Tiger Shrimp along with my RCS.

CRS can also mean cherry red shrimp, same as RCS...

Yes, and it confuses me greatly :lol: I go in to a Crystal Red Shrimp care lecture sometimes, just to find that the person has RCS .......

BTW bud29 ... those are nice, very clear and obvious pics of the two types ... are they yours?

no :lol: I don't even want to try to keep CRS right now, (RO/DI is too darn expensive!) and I only have one RCS, which always hides. And even if I did have amazingly colored shrimp, I would not be able to get that good of a pic :lol: But thanks......

no :lol: I don't even want to try to keep CRS right now, (RO/DI is too darn expensive!) and I only have one RCS, which always hides. And even if I did have amazingly colored shrimp, I would not be able to get that good of a pic :lol: But thanks......

I wonder if Annakhil has RCS's and Crystals in the same tank? If so is it tap water or RO/DI for PWC's?

Back
Top Bottom