rereceived fire red shrimp in the mail. not much color.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That looks more like what I was expecting..I guess I'll give it a few more days or so to see if there's any improvement..
Could the baby blue substrate have any affect on their coloration?

See what happens on a few days ... Let them adjust to their new surroundings. For what it's. worth, darkening the substrate will cause them to darken their red color. It happended with my RCS.

See what happens on a few days ... Let them adjust to their new surroundings. For what it's. worth, darkening the substrate will cause them to darken their red color. It happended with my RCS.

This is true. I put some of my crappy CRS in a 10 gallon with black sand and they are now super red. That's no excuse for the junk you received. I hate when people do that.

I don't have crs, I have blueberry shrimp. When I first got them home and acclimated, they lost the blue color. Now they have colored up nicely.

I don't know how clear they are but maybe some are ghost shrimp.

Painted fire reds could be more pale from shipping, but not like that, the shell is actually colored red for quality higher grade RCS shrimp. Babies are red usually. Males can be lighter, but the Painted Fire Reds I have seen are very red!

I ordered 20 red cherry shrimp about a week ago. The spent about 4 days in the postal system with 20degree f weather. Most of them where a very light red to clear but darkened up overnight. There was even 2 babys about 1/4 inch that are a nice red now.. They look darker than yours so you might of gotten some low grade cherrys :( . Ill try and get a pic when i get home from work.. give it some time maybe. But i do agree black substrate brings out thier color.

Very nice indeed.
As I stated before, the pics I had posted do not capture the full color of what I have. (Crappy camera phone)

I studied a grading chart I found on the shrimp now website.
ShrimpNow !!! - Grading system of Cherry to Fire Red Shrimps

So after careful analysis of that grading system I figure I have 3 low grade fire reds. At least 5 sakura , and the rest are cherries . But I'm going to get some black substrate and add it over top of the existing baby blue. Hopefully that might bring out their color a little more.

Not sure if it would have made any difference at all in color but I forgot to mention that when the shrimp arrived I took the water temp, it was 55 degrees! Luckily there was only 1 DOA.

Back
Top Bottom