Sand and Assassin Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maltimomma

Aquarium Advice Freak
Here's something I just thought of. I have black sand substrate and I've read that assassin snails burrow into the sand. They are such tiny little guys so how can you keep from sucking them up into the vacuum when cleaning? I've caught up an oto or two and had to quickly turn off the vacuum (Aqueon). Also, you have to stir the sand, can you accidently bury them so deep they can't get back out? I have planted tanks.

Since you don't stick your vac into the sand as you would when doing a gravel vac, sucking them up shouldn't be an issue. If you stir around the sand with your hand, then you won't bother them. Keep in mind, too, that newborn assassin snails stay beneath the substrate for their first few months.

If you have planted tanks, you don't need to stir up the sand.

Since you don't stick your vac into the sand as you would when doing a gravel vac, sucking them up shouldn't be an issue. If you stir around the sand with your hand, then you won't bother them. Keep in mind, too, that newborn assassin snails stay beneath the substrate for their first few months.

If you have planted tanks, you don't need to stir up the sand.

Thanks Lynda. You are always so much help. I didn't realize you don't need to stir the sand if you have plants. Thats good news. I hope I do get babies eventually.

Back
Top Bottom