Seachem flourish excel with shrimps.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashif314

Aquarium Advice Addict
Title says all. Is using excel in small quantities harmful for shrimps? Thanks.

Title says all. Is using excel in small quantities harmful for shrimps? Thanks.

In small or normal quantities no, in large quantities yes and no depending on anyone who has had a bad experience with them. I've always used excel in most of my tanks containing shrimp with zero issues.

In small or normal quantities no, in large quantities yes and no depending on anyone who has had a bad experience with them. I've always used excel in most of my tanks containing shrimp with zero issues.
Thanks a lot.

Personally, I would not use it. But that may depend on the shrimp. It is probably fine in low doses, but if you are dealing with higher end shrimp (Caridina) versus other types (Neocaridina, Amano, Ghost) then you may be taking chances IMO. Same thing with CO2. Then again, I’ve had Amanos in a tank that got periodic doses of Excel and Hydrogen Peroxide and where the fished were gassed (and died) with CO2.
If I were running a high tech tank with CO2 and Excel, I might add a few shrimp as “accents”. But if I were serious about having them thrive and breed, it would be low tech with some leaf litter and maybe a few low light plants.

Personally, I would not use it. But that may depend on the shrimp. It is probably fine in low doses, but if you are dealing with higher end shrimp (Caridina) versus other types (Neocaridina, Amano, Ghost) then you may be taking chances IMO. Same thing with CO2. Then again, I’ve had Amanos in a tank that got periodic doses of Excel and Hydrogen Peroxide and where the fished were gassed (and died) with CO2.
If I were running a high tech tank with CO2 and Excel, I might add a few shrimp as “accents”. But if I were serious about having them thrive and breed, it would be low tech with some leaf litter and maybe a few low light plants.
Thanks a lot. My tank was high tech and I took the harsh decision and removed pearlgrass. Now I have only Moss and Monte Carlo carpet. For Monte Carlo I don't think I need co2 of any kind. But is it OK to add liquid fertz occasionally? I have Seachem Flourish comprehensive, Seachem Potassium and Seachem Iron. If its not ok then I won't add. My basic priority is now shrimps and not plants. My tank is not high tech anymore. Removed all plants except Moss and Monte Carlo carpet.

Liquid ferts are fine. Just watch the TDS.
Most shrimp tanks are pretty basic: active substrate, air powered sponge filter, moss, a few pieces of hardscape/leaves, and a light source. IMG_5685.jpg

Thanks. Yes I do see all shrimp hobbyists have such setups. I think mine is now also very low maintenance. No plants whatsoever. Only Moss. I have hoth soil and carpet. Carpet is half of the tank and back is soil. I was thinking to add fertz very little so Moss and carpet stay good. My current setup now

Attachments

• DSC_5183.jpg
    DSC_5183.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 311
Back
Top Bottom