Self cloning crayfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StrawberryBlonde7

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm gonna put this thread two places not sure where it be

My self cloning crayfish is berried found her that way maybe a week ago.
How long til the babies come?
Will the babies be safe from platies or khuli loaches or the mother crayfish?
What to feed them? Anything else I should know? Thanks so much!
Any
A

Never kept 'em, so really have no idea how long until ya have babies, nor if the mother will cannibalize 'em. I do think, from my experience with FW shrimp, that they would probly be dinner for any fish that has a big enough mouth. If ya have a second tank, ya may consider puttin' the cray in there until the babies hatch, and then transferring her back to the main tank afterwards to prevent cannibalism.

Not much help, but 'tis somethin'. :)

WYite

I was hoping I would be safe with only platies and khuli loach , but I think I' m gonna either have to loan out my fish or buy another separator, but the momma in there until the babies crawl off of her , then put the momma back in the main section, I was trying to avoid this because its only a 10 gal and has one separator for platie babies

I have kept mine with places before. All was good a few went missing, but you need at least a 40g breeder if you won't any survivors. If not fed well the craw will eat the babies as they bigger. I breed them for bass fishing. 40g breeder a bunch on 1.5" PVC pipes cut to about 3" and sponge filter. That easy. I feed mine collards and earth worms alternating days. I get about 60-150 babies a month.

Do you have the self cloning ones? I read that they dont usually eat each other. I guess we will see. I'm friends with the guy at the LFS he let me take his two berried crayfish, that are much smaller so I have the 3 of them in a 10 gallon. They aren't bothering each other right now. Mine which is probably 2-3x bigger than the other two is holed up in a cave. I was able to have my friend baby sit my fish and khuli loaches and I plan on removing the mommy crayfish free the babies detach.
Thanks

Yes i do. Here is my biggest. And a few of my babies.

Attachments

• image-577536642.jpg
    image-577536642.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 224
  • image-965221159.jpg
    image-965221159.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 330
I've seen it happen. You need to feed them well or yes it will happen. Give them collards and worn. Fish flake is not enough. I also give mine snails and zucchini.

Also the car can have up to 150 babies. You are going to need a bigger tank for them. Call up Petco and ask if/when they have their $1a gallon sale and pick up at least a 20g long tank. Or go to Walmart or something like that and pick up a long flat wide plastic container and a bag of gravel and put her in there. Just make sure you put a lid on it cause they can and will climb out. You can put in a small sponge filter in it and just drill a few holes in the lid for gas exchange. I have done it like that before. Good luck. Let me know if I can help with anything else.

where are you guys located? and would you be willing to sell me a baby or 2? it would be cool to be able to breed them for food for my fish... it seams like they would be perfect for it... i also have RCS and ramshorn snails im working on breeding for food. i have a large Oscar and will soon also have a large angelfish, and large shark who could eat babies of varying sizes...

Sorry my son had his tonsils out this week it's been interesting. One of the girls had her babies they are so tiny! I have no idea how to ship them yet but would be willing , pm me . I will attach photos when I get a minute

When they are this tiny they still eat that stuff? Collards ... Like lettuce? I put a piece of that in there today, also an algae wafer thing that crumbles I know my big girl loves that, and a piece of shrimp one of the smaller girls that just had the babies ate last night. Until I can get some worms. Earthworms? Do you cut them or anything? Thanks again

Oh yeah and I have a bunch of java moss in my tank too. I just haven't seen any if the babies eating anything yet. But I can only visualize about 5. I don't think this first one had many babies. The other two are still in a cave with moss covering the openings, I'm getting anxious because I can't see them and they haven't eaten.

Yeah I take earth worms and cut them up into tiny pieces rinse it in cold water until they are clean and toss them in the tank for the babies. For the full grown one I just toss the worm in whole. My craws have ate a huge portion on java moss in one night. Now I just do collard, zucchini, and occasionally a piece of butternut squash. They long veggies.

I have found that feeding the big craws worms kind of induces them to start carrying.

Back
Top Bottom