Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Invertebrates
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Shrimp...

Red Cherry Shrimp vs. Ghost Shrimp?
Tell me why one is better than the other. After seeing that most people that are avid about the hobby use RCS not Ghosts I wanna know why. It confuses me that most people have RCS and not Ghosts...they seem to have little difference to me...show me the differences thanks!

Old 03-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Most of my Ghost Shrimp die, but I have heard the Red Cherry Shrimp are more robust the the Ghost Shrimp.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have red cherry shrimp, amano shrimp, bamboo shrimp and ghost shrimp. I love them all and definitely can't say that one is "better" than another.

I enjoy watching them all. But, there is something special about the RCS, because they breed so profusely. I get such a kick out of watching all the little shrimplets in the tank. I feel like Gulliver observing the Lilliputians. I just don't get that with my other species. But the others are special in their own way.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have had ghost shrimp before. The reason I'm leaning more towards Ghosts are definitely the price...2.50 for 12 sounds alot better than $5 ea. I guess I could order, but even then the price seems pretty high with shipping. I also go to school so I wouldn't be able to receive them on a weekday. Any suggestions out there?
Old 03-09-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Check the classified section here. There are some members who sell them.

You can't receive mail at school? That's nuts. Unless, of course, you mean high school.....
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
Old 03-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think they mean they wouldn't be home to take the package.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Check aquabid, they sometimes have good deals. If you can't get the item shipped to you on a weekend, then post a wanted add in the classifieds section. You'll probably get lots of responses.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I work all day, my packages are waiting there when I get home. I thought maybe they meant they're only home on weekends or, like I said, they're at a college or something where they can't get mail, which I can't imagine happening. I mean, how would Aunt Edna send you her world famous hash brownies?
Old 03-09-2012, 05:20 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I mean I wouldn't be home during the day. I'm in high school. So they would sit on the porch outside all day, in the cold.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

They're in insulated boxes though, so unless you're in the middle of a frigid blast, they should be okay. Best to ask one of the members who ships what their thoughts are.

Tags
rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com