Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steelhawke

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, in my tank I have 1 dwarf gourami, a pair of German blue rams mad a half dozen bleeding heart tetras. I keep losing my ghost shrimp, someone is eating them and I think it's the dwarf, but my question is, is there a shrimp I can get that that will survive? I have plants in the tank but they have not filled up the tank yet, they take forever to grow. The shrimp are pretty to cool to watch and sure they are cheap enough but I just don't like buying them as food. Thanks guys, love these forums, always reading them, I think it drives my wife crazy, we are both retired and I walk around the house with my iPad in my hand so can read the forums where ever I sit down.

You could try anamo shrimp they are my favourite shrimp. They are also bigger than ghosts I think

Are they being eaten or just dying? IME a dwarf gourami doesn't have a big enough mouth to eat most ghost shrimps that I see. I could be mistake though.

Predfan27 said:
Are they being eaten or just dying? IME a dwarf gourami doesn't have a big enough mouth to eat most ghost shrimps that I see. I could be mistake though.

I agree... My dwarf Gouramis don't touch my shrimp :L

Ok, in my tank I have 1 dwarf gourami, a pair of German blue rams mad a half dozen bleeding heart tetras. I keep losing my ghost shrimp, someone is eating them and I think it's the dwarf, but my question is, is there a shrimp I can get that that will survive? I have plants in the tank but they have not filled up the tank yet, they take forever to grow. The shrimp are pretty to cool to watch and sure they are cheap enough but I just don't like buying them as food. Thanks guys, love these forums, always reading them, I think it drives my wife crazy, we are both retired and I walk around the house with my iPad in my hand so can read the forums where ever I sit down.

I agree... They could be dying off and then your fish and remaining ghosts are having shrimp for dinner. Could also be your bleeding hearts are hunting them down?

Aside from Amano, you could also look at bamboo shrimp... They certainly get much larger than ghost shrimp, and I think look cool... I'm considering getting one for my tank. Though I may still have a couple ... Ghosts in my tank = treat for the Barbs.

Not sure if they are getting eaten, all I know is they are disappearing. I buy 6 at a time but it doesn't take long before they gone. I keep hoping my java moss would fill in some to offer protection for the little guys and maybe a little breeding ground, but that too is slow growing.

Ghost shrimp breed in a brackish environment, so you can kinda count that out. I would heed everyone else's advice and go with a different shrimp. Although I can't say that I've kept ghosties as any more than food. Bamboo and amano are good types. Large enough to not be eaten. Amano clean up the tank so those I would recommend. Bamboo are really cool but they need a decent current because they are filter feeders. Good luck!

Predfan27 said:
Ghost shrimp breed in a brackish environment, so you can kinda count that out. Good luck!

I wouldn't say this is entirely true I have and currently am breeding "ghost shrimp" in a 100% fresh water environment.

BlaseMrNiceguy said:
I wouldn't say this is entirely true I have and currently am breeding "ghost shrimp" in a 100% fresh water environment.
Isn't entirely true

Perhaps you have a different breed? I know there are a lot of shrimp labelled under the monikers of ghost shrimp. Or maybe what I hear is wrong ab the brackish breeding. Always more to learn!

Many Tetras are relentless hunters. Your Rams might eat them as well. Try 2 or 3 Amanos. But make sure your water is good. Shrimp don't tolerate poor water conditions. Add more plants to give them cover as well. If Shrimp can't hide when they molt, they get killed.

Ok, I'll get some plants and let them get moe established before getting any more shrimp, plants take so long to grow, just wish my lawn was as slow growing.

Back
Top Bottom