Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The boring name

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys! I have a question. Can shrimp co-exist with black and red skirted tetras and guppys? It is a 26 gallon bowfront. What are the requirements for shrimp? Last time I had them they sadly perished fast and want to avoid this at all cost this time.

They should but any baby's will be eaten so get larger shrimp and shrimp like heavily planted tanks there chances of living will be higher

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Shrimp tend to co exist peaceably with tetras for the most part. As for guppies, I've never tried it. But, honestly, shrimp need live plants - to hide in and to clean the algae from them. Guppies love to eat plants, so how can these go together? Even if you feed them well, they'll still nibble on the plants. Just some things to consider.

I mean, maaayyybbeee ghost shrimp could be a possibility. Or some kind of crayfish. I've never kept either of these. But I have kept RCS and glowlight tetras in a planted tank and it was great. Ultimately it's up to you.

Amano shrimp. All the Cherry shrimp varieties are probably going to risk injury or death. Any time I have tried RCS type shrimp in a community tank they disappeared. So I would not recommend that.

Ok so I think I've come to a conclusion. It's going to be a shrimp only tank. Planted with wisteria and java moss. Any thing else that I would need to set up for them. What kinds would be the best for a rookie shrimp keeper like me! Thanks!

Recommendations would be to try and find a local keeper in the same area which raise them in standard water local to you, not RO/DI or extra stuff other than the basics of water treatment. Which says they breed like crazy , meaning they are adapted to the water like you have.

Otherwise some form of Cherry/ Neocaridina shrimp like a Fire Yellow, Red, or any red variations like Sakura Fire Red, Painted fire red, as well as Pumplin shrimp or Orange Sakura, and lastly Blue Velvets.

The Neocaridina shrimp which are sometimes referred to as "Neocaridina heteropoda" are the same as the Neocaridina Davidi, there were some changes in terminology but they are the same thing. The differences in common names mostly refer to the color quality/saturation and coverage.

Ok thanks. What plants are best for a lowlight tank and shrimp

Moss and Marimo Moss balls, and Java fern best lowest light.

Subwassertang

Crypts, Ludwigia Repens x Arcuata always has done well for me gets more color with more light, as it gets toward the top.

Check some threads here in the search function, many options.

Can Java moss live with low light

I have 3 CFLs overtop of a 2.5 gal bucket and the java moss grows like crazy, two of the cfls are 3000k and the one is like 1200k. Im sure one florescent strip would be perfect, I had a small bit of moss in my 55g native with a regular 48inch floro and it ended up taking over lol now I grow it in a bucket to sell, heres the out come of the growth

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1415297205301.jpg
    1415297205301.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 65
But can it live in low light

And heres a quick update after removing alot of the moss and floating water sprite for a natural apearance

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yup I forgot some in a cup for about 2 months and it was growing and healthy green! It was a dim area on a shelf!

Last edited:
Yup I forgot some in a cup for about 2 months and it was growing and healthy green! It was a dim area on a shelf!

Similar thing happened to me. I took some out, put it in a plastic bag that I planned to carry to a different room and put in a different tank. Then I got distracted.... Months later it was still fine and all alive.

Another lowlight plant I would add to that list is anubias. I have had anubias nana in several low light tanks and always had it do very well. It grows very slow, but steadily. I have also had good luck with hornwort.

Would Java moss act as good food source for an otto cat

Guppies love to eat plants, so how can these go together? Even if you feed them well, they'll still nibble on the plants. Just some things to consider.

Guppies love to eat plants ???
Sorry, but that is not accurate.
http://youtu.be/2NhdgKWeUzw

I'm in an Aquatic Plant Club and many members have Guppies and Endlers in planted aquariums.

To the OP...if you want to SEE your Shrimp and the babies, Shrimp only is the way to go. Otos and Snails are ok as well.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In a heavily planted tank you may not need to supplement Otos. I did feed mine pieces of Omega One Algae Wafers, but only 1x a week or so.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom