Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Invertebrates
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-17-2018, 10:46 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Shrimp

I couldn't resist setting up a shrimp tank. My lfs had 1 Sakura (spelling) Red and 2 Rili left. Anyone heard of the Rili shrimp? They are red with a clear part in the middle. I lost one after a week.

I assume they are sensitive to nitrates as mine were 20+ ? ? The tank has a sponge filter which I am not used to, always had HOBs. I will get more shrimp when I am sure they can survive in my water. I bought some plants and they melted very badly and fouled the water faster than I anticipated.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:51 AM   #2
ZxC
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes they do no like NO3.

Try and keep it <10pmm.

I wouldn't mix neo species. They will interbreed and revert back to clear / brown / ugly wild colors.

Generally you'll want a pH of 7.0-7.6
gH 6-10
kH 4-6

But the best is to try and match the water they were raised in. Once you get a successful new generation, they will adapt to pretty much any water source. The older they get, the less adaptable they become

If it were easy we wouldn't be here
ZxC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:33 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Itís best if you cycle that tank BEFORE adding shrimp. In your case, you will need to keep up with water changes. Works fine with fish but could be a problem with shrimp.
Also, Iím a big proponent of a slow, lengthy drip acclimation. I usually drip the tank water into the vessel holding for about an hour before introducing them to the tank.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
Itís best if you cycle that tank BEFORE adding shrimp. In your case, you will need to keep up with water changes. Works fine with fish but could be a problem with shrimp.
Also, Iím a big proponent of a slow, lengthy drip acclimation. I usually drip the tank water into the vessel holding for about an hour before introducing them to the tank.
The tank was cycled there has been no Ammonia or Nitrites before adding the shrimp and just a tad of Nitrates. I also drip acclimated them for an hour. I bought some guppy grass online it was very healthy but it melted completely and made a mess.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZxC View Post
Yes they do no like NO3.

Try and keep it <10pmm.

I wouldn't mix neo species. They will interbreed and revert back to clear / brown / ugly wild colors.

gH 6-10
kH 4-6

But the best is to try and match the water they were raised in. Once you get a successful new generation, they will adapt to pretty much any water source. The older they get, the less adaptable they become
Thanks Z, I looked up the Rili's at the lfs (google) it said they were the same as Cherry. But I see now it's a sub-species. If it works out I will stick to the cherries. I'm trying to pull out all of the dead guppy grass
Old 08-15-2018, 09:30 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZxC View Post
Yes they do no like NO3.

Try and keep it <10pmm.

gH 6-10
kH 4-6

I managed to find a couple more very deep red painted shrimps at my lfs. I took the Rili out and put him in with my Amano's and Pea Puffer. He seems happier in there with the big shrimp lol. On Friday I have 10 more red painted shrimps arriving via mail. These guys are so fun to watch!

I am up to 7 tanks now and my landlord is having a whole house filter installed tomorrow. I am told it's not a water softener but some kind of filter that needs to be changed every 6 months. I asked if it was R/O and they said no so I don't know what the heck it is. It will be interesting to see how much the hardness and ph change. If it's a lot I will be back to ask for help on transitioning my fish to new water.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:06 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Yes, plants melting will kill off lots of creatures.

Find out more about the type of filter being installed, so you can research it yourself. Not enough to just have some one tell you its all good. Maybe it will be lots better for the fish which would be a great surprise.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -5G Spec V Snails & Betta
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:46 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Shrimp Water Temperature

I am finding conflicting information online, I know shocking, what is the best temperature for health and reproduction of RCS? Some say 80F for breeding others say lower. I have mine at 74 and seem to be thriving.

The only info on the whole house filter is that it is a "charcoal filter". Landlords relative is a plumber so they don't ask too many questions.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:52 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

I keep dwarf shrimp in an unheated tank year round. Winters around 65-68 and summers around 72-75.
80 is quite toasty. Will result in faster growth but shorter lifespan.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:15 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

80F, also agree it very much too warm.

I'd say around 75F seems to work for me. They can be fine in a home with no heater, but make sure not under an A/C unit /vent or under or over a heater vent in a nano tank.

In nature they would have a degree of temp change from sunny days to cooler nights.

Depending upon which kind of lighting they would have, there would be some additional warmth from the light when it was on too.

Usually I would have a heater set low just to make sure they didn't get too chilly.

My Tangerine Tigers and the Pure Red Line/PRL (Caridina) were more around 72-74F.

Details like are they tank raised, outdoor tub bred or imported from overseas. Some shrimp are raised in ponds in temperate regions. Some always in a certain temp in very regulated clean water. Those would be the more delicate ones to variations as they are not used to fluctuations.

Having them in parameters they came from and gently transitioning to a new experience would be ideal.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -5G Spec V Snails & Betta
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com