Shrimp care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Surfer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I picked up these "red and white" shrimp at petco. Two of them are berried and I suspect the other to be a male. Can anyone ID them? Sorry for the bad quality pic, also how should I go about hatching the eggs safely? I see little eyes.

Attachments

• image-4177598406.jpg
    image-4177598406.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 113
looks like rili shrimps

the solid red one is probably a cherry

This look like a lower grade Rili, pretty unusual for Petco to carry

I had no idea Petco carried Rili shrimp... Those are high-dollar shrimp, what did they cost?

Neocaridina prices have dropped allot over the last couple of years, you can normally find good quality Rilis for $2-3 bucks. I'd hardly call them "high dollar shrimp" anymore.

For hatching, you don't need any special care. The female will carry the eggs under her tail, then after about 30 days, they will hatch. You'll get many little teeny tiny shrimplets running around.

For care... Shrimp are easy. They do best in their own tank, or with nano fish. You can feed them blanched veggies, algae waffers, bottom feeder waffers, shrimp pellets, crustacean pellets, or expensive 'shrimp food'. They do best with live plants. Keep the water clean and they'll be fine :)

You shouldn't pull ur hair. Neos has always been 1-3 dollars among hobbyist. In pet stores, they are still 5-8 dollars. Even really good ones still sells them for 4-6 each.

If you buy from other hobbyist, its cheaper but you can't pick and you have to get it shipped it. So don't be too upset. You didn't get rip off.

You shouldn't pull ur hair. Neos has always been 1-3 dollars among hobbyist. In pet stores, they are still 5-8 dollars. Even really good ones still sells them for 4-6 each.

If you buy from other hobbyist, its cheaper but you can't pick and you have to get it shipped it. So don't be too upset. You didn't get rip off.

Alright... Exactly what I needed to hear haha. Ill consider going back.

Amanos are okay to be kept with shrimps, BUT as you already know they are big cute bullies. They will steal food and if your shrimp is not good at hiding right after they molt, they will eat him (this doesn't happen very often, but does happens)

If you have a breeding colony of shrimps, the amano eating 1 or two once in a while its not noticeable. if you have a standing colony then i wouldn't risk it.

I personally only keep my amanos with my bettas, and they give them a run for their money in agression. lol.

Amanos are okay to be kept with shrimps, BUT as you already know they are big cute bullies. They will steal food and if your shrimp is not good at hiding right after they molt, they will eat him (this doesn't happen very often, but does happens)

If you have a breeding colony of shrimps, the amano eating 1 or two once in a while its not noticeable. if you have a standing colony then i wouldn't risk it.

I personally only keep my amanos with my bettas, and they give them a run for their money in agression. lol.

Here's my reddest one, it's weird because he's the one I see bullying them the most. Ill definitely put them in my other tank, while I wait for the rillis to breed.

He's even more colored up than the new guys lol.

Attachments

• image-407288619.jpg
    image-407288619.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 46
  • image-955471762.jpg
    image-955471762.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 69
Those are very cool Amanos! I keep amanos with RCS. They are bullies and will steal food, but they're fine.

Back
Top Bottom