Shrimp getting into filter..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I get that, I really do. I have always been a bit surprised that they survive in the bottom of the filter, but they do, for heaven knows how long, given I have no idea when they got there to begin with.

I know! I couldn't find them anywhere! Then saw one in the pump section also where I keep my heater, went to get a flash light and it was gone... Took out filter and saw it in the bottom! So hard to get them out too!

Sent from my iPhone

I discovered the easiest way to remove them was to slowly pour the water out of the filter. Trying to net them was pointless. Pouring works fairly well and if one gets stuck on the plastic walls, just add a bit more tank water and pour again. Gently does it. I usually clean the filter then too, since I have it in hand.

Ok thanks! They should be able to get back there now though..but if they get in the top I just lift the filter even with the plastic and push them into the water or scare them to the grate and the go through..

Sent from my iPhone

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414028052.138168.jpg my mystery snail likes to cause issues.. ;) ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414028082.518538.jpg easy to clear that one just have to pull it forward ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414028115.591867.jpg I can just grab off big stuff and when I clean my filter clean it too! And it's keeping out the shrimp!! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414028178.052818.jpg since you have this tank how often do you replace the media?

Sent from my iPhone

You can also siphon the shrimp out of your filter.
Dont knock yourself out, a few shrimp will continue to find a way into the filter despite your efforts.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Wouldn't siphoning then hurt them? Idk if they would fit through the tube.. And I'm sure once they start breeding some small ones will get through.. But oh well it should keep most out! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414035944.944585.jpg my snail is brainless.. Doesn't it know it's supposed to be in the water?! ;) ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414035977.883435.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

Back
Top Bottom