Shrimp getting into filter..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cherokeeluvr

Aquarium Advice Addict
Had his problem and thought I fixed it. Today I see a shrimp in the filter area again.. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413559340.335013.jpg he is just in the top part.. How can I keep this better blocked off?

Sent from my iPhone

Where is the intake? Is that where the stuff is now? Or are you talking about the tiny hold down lower?

Sent from my iPhone

I'm referring to the upper intake. Cut a piece of window screen or similar mesh and place it in the tank side of the intake (as opposed to the filter side where the filter floss is). The only downside is the mesh might allow baby shrimp to pass through.
For the lower intake you could plug it with filter floss.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok thanks!! How small are the little shrimp?! Will brain tetras bother them? I have 3 in my tank.. Plenty of places to his though

Sent from my iPhone

Very small. 1/16"-1/8" I am guessing.
Yes, the (brain?) tetras will eat newborn and baby shrimp. Maybe not all of them. If you really want to breed and raise them since you have so few at this time you may want to exclude fish until you have a healthy population of shrimp.

I didn't think they were that small! Wow! My males are still (I think) to young to breed. When I see pregnant females I will remove the tetras.. Just a major pain catching them. And it stresses them out a lot. How many babies do the shrimp usually have and how often? And how long is the breeding cycle? And when do the shrimp reach full maturity?

Sent from my iPhone

If you want to breed Shrimp, I would get them their own tank. Catching fish can freak out the shrimp and cause them to drop eggs.

I keep a sponge over my intake.

Many shrimp breeders swear by sponge filters , but I'll stick with my HOB.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok i just put the fist in there a day or two ago.. I will take them out later! What kind of sponge can I put over it? I have a fluval spec 5 gallon tank

Sent from my iPhone

I have a HOB in my big tank and just have the built in for my shrimp tank

Sent from my iPhone

Don't be surprised if you still find shrimp in it. I had one tank with several species in it and the shrimp continually got into the Aqua Clear, despite a sponge intake cover. They appeared to manage to climb into the output side and I'd find them all inside the floss and sponge. They find a lot of food on surfaces like filter media. I learned to empty the filter over a bucket when I cleaned it so as not to lose shrimp. The little guys can really jump when they want to.

Newborn cherry shrimp are around 3/16" inch long if you don't count the tail and when first born are virtually colourless. They get some colour within a day or two. They are soft when first born, so the shells must harden, as they must after any moult, so having plenty of hiding spots for them is pretty important if there are fish in with them. Females tend to drop the babies in hiding places to start with, to give them a chance.

Gosh! That's not good! I'm going to look for something now to cover it.. I want to actually see my shrimp! That is so small!! They have plenty of places to hide :)

Sent from my iPhone

I think I got it! I got some REALLY fine mesh cloth thing and put it over the top and the tiny intake I will get pics later!

Sent from my iPhone

I think I got it! I got some REALLY fine mesh cloth thing and put it over the top and the tiny intake I will get pics later!

Sent from my iPhone

Cool. Hope this works for you. Make sure you keep it clear since it may clog up prematurely.
The slotted intake and the prospect of breeding dwarf shrimp were factors for me not getting this delightful tank.

I think I fixed it! But as you said just keeping it clean

Sent from my iPhone

Too true. The finer the mesh, the faster it clogs up. Which is why I used to not bother trying too hard to keep shrimp out of that one filter they kept getting into. Never had it happen in other tanks, though I had a couple of CPD and kuhli loaches get into an AC 70... fortunately they don't get chewed up, as they are too big to fit into the impeller well. Baby shrimp otoh, do fit into impeller wells. But in the AC at least, they seem to bypass the impeller quite successfully due to the overall design of the filter. Never found a chopped up anything in an AC filter, thankfully so.

I don't mind them up in the top as much but when the get below the filter bothers me..

Sent from my iPhone

Back
Top Bottom