Shrimp in community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LOACHY

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all , I was just wondering i have a 55uk gal tank think that's equal to about 64 us gallon tank it's heavily planted with floating plants mosses and normal plants if I got say 20 shrimp would they survive bearing in mid I hve 6 gouramis 2 Cory's and 1 yoyo loach I know the loach will actively hunt shrimp but if he's fed we'll will he ignore then

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I know your all going to say the loach and the Coreys need larger groups but the loach and Corey's are always together and the loaches size makes the gouramis not go anywhere near them there happy and always playing

I'm not sure what you want to hear. I am guessing you are asking this question after reading numerous posts on the net. So if you want me to say what you want to hear then no, your shrimps are safe.
However fact undeniably is, shrimps are at the bottom of the aquatic food chain, and they know it. So large fish like gouramis will invariable have a go at them. Even if miraculously the adults survive, you will almost never see any juvs. If you do, then you won't next day.

I had experimented on this myself, keeping yellows with serpae[well fed and in a heavily planted 75g]. While the odd juv did live, when I accidentally killed my shrimps, I counted around 18 of the 10 that I had purchased 4 months ago. Your call.

Hi. I keep a large colony of RCS with tetras and Cory's. The RCS numbers are increasing well but I am fairly sure the tetras snack on the babies. The tetras are often seen head buried deep in the moss but now the moss is well over 3" deep many if the babies survive. The tetras, Cory's and juvenile/adult shrimps feed side by side and ignore each other. I'm not sure I would risk putting in fish with bigger mouths, no matter how well fed.

I bought about ten RCS to go into my cherry barb tank. I thought they'd be okay because I read cherry barbs are the least aggressive of the barb family. However, that didn't mean they are totally not aggressive. Their mouths are small, but still enough to eat the juvies. I have about four now, and after a few weeks they've plumped up enough so that they're too big to eat.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom