shrimp in sump...UGH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tarpon

Aquarium Advice Addict
One of my rilis managed to swim right through the grating in my fluval spec 5.
Im having a tough time getting him out. My nets too big. It's 3am. And in the sump I also discovered around 30 dead shrimplets...very disheartening.

FINALLY got him back in the main tank. Now how should I prevent this from happening again?
the design makes attaching a sponge without silicone almost impossible. And I'd have to drain the tank for that which would be a pain.

ForumRunner_20120716_030500.jpg

There's also a small intake slit at the bottom that I have no idea how to cover

ForumRunner_20120716_030623.jpg

Maybe you can use some a piece of screen like they use to make moss walls to cover your holes. I can not really tell if that will work because I can't see your whole tank. Yet it is an idea.

Oh yeah! I didn't think about suction cups. It'd have to stick really close though with no gaps behind.
I think no matter what I do on this one to shrimp proof it, it's not going to look very good

Maybe you can use some large stones to cover the screen.

Maybe I'll just cover the top one and plug the bottom with a suction cup when I have shrimplets.

If you plug up the bottom hole wont that affect how your tank functions?

No, it's mostly for if the water drops below the upper intake grating. That way it has a place to draw water from and the pump won't burn up.

Back
Top Bottom