Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Invertebrates
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-23-2018, 11:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Shrimp interbreeding Question

I have a skittles tank. Want to know that when anytime two different colors breed the result will be a colorless or ugly looking shrimp? I had blue dreams and yellow and all the babies of blue dreams were colorless and like amano shrimp. Will this be the case everytime if two different colors breed?

Secondly how the resulting shrimp will be when crystal red and crystal black breed?

Thanks.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:26 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

With Neos it is very common for the babies to end up a mix and usually a larger number turn clear/pale/tan/natural/wild looking.

So much breeding is done to get to that point of the beautiful array of colors we have available.

When the CBS and CRS breed - they come also from the same genetics, but different color morphs. The way I understand is that they will usually be more black. Unfortunately you have no exact pedigree of the shrimps' heritage and will end up with some black.

I previously read the genetics use a Punnett square to estimate the likely outcome of breeding. You can search about that. One night, a long while back, a few years, I read over so many articles and still can't properly try to explain. Better left to those who do this from training or their interest in genetics as a hobby.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -5G Spec V Snails & Betta
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:31 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Meant also to say that you don't know if a Tiger, or other shrimp was introduced or a Tibee was bred back into the line, or Golden Bee, etc. to strengthen a dominant trait the breeder may be trying to reinforce in the line.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -5G Spec V Snails & Betta
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 03:31 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
With Neos it is very common for the babies to end up a mix and usually a larger number turn clear/pale/tan/natural/wild looking.

So much breeding is done to get to that point of the beautiful array of colors we have available.

When the CBS and CRS breed - they come also from the same genetics, but different color morphs. The way I understand is that they will usually be more black. Unfortunately you have no exact pedigree of the shrimps' heritage and will end up with some black.

I previously read the genetics use a Punnett square to estimate the likely outcome of breeding. You can search about that. One night, a long while back, a few years, I read over so many articles and still can't properly try to explain. Better left to those who do this from training or their interest in genetics as a hobby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
Meant also to say that you don't know if a Tiger, or other shrimp was introduced or a Tibee was bred back into the line, or Golden Bee, etc. to strengthen a dominant trait the breeder may be trying to reinforce in the line.
Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation. I am actually not buying more blacks for this same reason. Black gene is dominant is what i read. I do like black crystals as well and have them but won't buy more. Very good detailed explanation Maam. Thanks a lot.

Tags
breed, breeding, question, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com