Shrimp Only Feeder?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueMoonFox

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have some neocardinas in community tanks and just recently lucked in to some shrimp food that is quite a bit more expensive than fish flakes. I put the food into a seashell in a heavily planted area, but the other fish get to it first.

I was wondering if anyone has come across or designed a feeder that will prevent corys and adult guppys from getting to the food, but will not look too large or unsightly. If not, looks like I'm off to the drawing board (conveniently located in the dog house since my wife knows my inventions get costly quick).

Shrimp can't compete with fish, and any babies will most likely be eaten. Simply better to keep them in their own tank.

So general consensus is that no such thing exists... Until now. I took a page from our friends in Maine and devised a tiny lobster trap. I used plastic yarn mesh and a seashell. I cut the hole 2x3 to prevent the guppies from getting in. Fed the shrimp today, success!

I plan on attaching some moss to the container for better camouflage.

With the success of the first one, I modified and added one to another tank. Once the Xmas moss fills out this will be really fun.

I'm sure your wife will be very happy with the low cost of this invention

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks. These have been working great. My shrimp food delivery tool (bendy straws) fit right in the window and the shrimp have learned to go in and omm mom nom. The fish gave up trying after the second day. Now I'm just looking forward to the moss filling in so it doesn't look like a mesh hanger for a tiny shrimp plane...

Back
Top Bottom