Shrimp Quest "Please Help" by AutumnSky (Long)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Autumnsky said:
Orange Bee! lol It was in the heading of the post.

Already have 4 Ghost, 3 Amano and 1 Bamboo Shrimp (want another 1-2)!

I already got bit!

These 2 are little. They hopped into the water, and got busy picking for food. After an hour I don't see them, they must be hiding. or sleeping. I can have the Cherry shrimp too since they are different species. They will be here next a week from Thursday since Thurs is delivery day.

One of them was looking pretty close at a guppy fry, appx. the same size as shrimp. He didn't snap at it or anything just kept eyeballing it! They are over 1/2 inches and a little more size for the other one.
Ghost shrimp - will the Ghosties want to eat the Orange Bees? Fish guy said he didn't think there would be any problems, but he also repeated a couple times he was a fish guy and didn't know much about shrimp, but he was learning.

Bamboo shrimp are filter feeders. They should be at a MAX of two in a 20g tank.

Try not to mix bee species. You'll get mutts, which are not valuable. Stick with all orange ect.

CRS need pristine water because they have been inbred so much for their red white traits. But other bee species don't need as pristine of water.

All Shrimp need clean water with low Nitrates. TDS, GH and KH are other readings that are good to track esp if you want your Shrimp breeding. Temperature is important as well and varies by species.

Low grade CRS are almost as hardy as RCS.

I will never mix Ghost and Dwarf Shrimp.

I think those Ghost shrimp are nothing but trouble!!!

So the Bee Shrimp are in the Crystal Red Shrimp family Caridina.

Also the Cherry, Paratya australiensis was called this name, but also NeoCaridina.

Am I understanding that the Orange Bee needs BW to reproduce? Then I just read that it will reproduce in FW. Like CRS. And will drop mini baby shrimp not larva.

Also read that the Sunsist and the orange bee are the same, anyone know for sure? Both are Caridina...

Wow...more confused than ever!

And I will take out the Ghost Shrimp and put them in the main tank. They will be with the Filter feeder and the 3 Fat Amano.

Bamboo Shrimp

MABJ-When I get my big tank ready I will add a couple of Bamboo Shrimp to that. My Bamboo is what really got me interested in shrimp.

It started with the trouble causing Ghost, then Bamboo, then innocently, 3 Amano algae eater/tank cleaners.... Now Orange Bees...then.....:angel:

Yup....Hi, my name is......I am an addict!

Hehe! Well yes.. Make sure you do research first. All bee shrimp (including any CRS, CBS or other varieties) will interbreed.

So will all neocardinia.

You can keep one of each, like the orange bee. If you send us pictures, we can ID them. I've never heard of an orange bee, just a golden bee.

Sakura/sunkist should both be NeoCardinia. They drop larvae, while bee shrimp drop mini clones.

I have an ok pic from my phone, I will try and post it. I may have to use another better phone camera for a pic that one could see detail in.

After looking, at pictures on Google, I have a non conclusive ID. Which doesn't surprise me as there are sooo many people out there who are clueless too!

Found super Red Cherry shrimp on CL Denver (Arvada) for $1.00 ea or less if you buy quantity.

If anyone can look at the pic posted and let me know if that is good, quality, color, good idea? If good idea, how many in a 6.6 Edge?

If the shrimp were put in as adults in aquarium, would they be ok with guppies and Cories?

My new tank will probably have my new Pearl Gourami, so wouldn't they try to snack on the cherry shrimp? Harlequin Rasboras, Glowlight, Neon and Blackskirt Tetras, One Betta Female. Amano and filter feeder shrimp. Plus my Spotted Raphael catfish, may eat one if it walked by when he was actually awake.

Would I want to get half those and half a new group to help prevent too much inbreeding?

Autumnsky said:
What bottom feeder/cleaner should I put in the 6.6 Edge for the shrimp tank, Cory needs to go to the bigger tank? Pygmy size Cory?

Pygmy needs a 10g at least normal cories need 20s.

The shrimp are your bottom feeder/ cleaners unless you want some ramshorn snails

Autumnsky said:
Maybe Ramshorn then!

Id recommend a color variant! I bred leopards unknowingly and I guess it is easy to get blues/red/pink

Autumnsky said:
I would probably like any of those colors. Do you know who sells them here?

I have leopard print, check my classifieds ad for buying blue to check about those sellers and Jeta sells pink.

:)

Orange shrimp. Is this an orange bee or mandarin or sunkist??
One is a male and one is a female... so I was told.

Attachments

• shrimp2.jpg
    shrimp2.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 49
  • shrimpy.jpg
    shrimpy.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 42
I'm not sure, but it looks like a sunkist to me.

Correct, but those sunkist are beautiful... I'd keep those on their own.

LFS is getting more in this week or next so I will see what they look like and probably get some more. But $6.50 each not really in my budget to buy too many! :( LFS has 25% off if you buy them the week they come in and or quantity disc. 4 or 6 for $xx.xx. or 12, whatever he comes up with.

Autumnsky said:
LFS is getting more in this week or next so I will see what they look like and probably get some more. But $6.50 each not really in my budget to buy too many! :( LFS has 25% off if you buy them the week they come in and or quantity disc. 4 or 6 for $xx.xx. or 12, whatever he comes up with.

Here's what you do, learn how they breed, buy a male and a female, boom. More for free xD

Your SO lucky your LFS stocks sunkist!! I would go without lunch for a week or two to buy them! Haha if you think about it, they will eventually pay for them selves in time. Once they start producing baby's, you can definitely sell them! I know I would definitely buy a colony!

Back
Top Bottom