Shrimp stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bgmann12

Aquarium Advice Freak
What is the best freshwater shrimp to start with in a 5 gallon planted tank with no heater? Thanks.
Oh and can is keep a single fancy guppy with the shrimp to keep the population down? Would the population still grow though but just slower?

Red cherry shrimp are easy to care for and reproduce quickly. As long as you have enough hiding spots the shrimp will still reproduce. Guppies will eat baby shrimp but if you have enough cover the colony will still grow.

If you're not a fan of the red cherries, there's quite a few colour morphs available out there and they're just as hardy. I've seen them in red, blue, green, orange, yellow, and chocolate.

Thanks guys is dwarf hairgrass and java fern enough cover or do I need some type of moss?

And could I add CRS after the tank gets started with RCS

Moss would be you best bet. Shrimp like to hide and browse in moss. I have no experience with DHG (can be demanding for a plant).
CRS have specific demands (hopefully others will chime in on this). It took several months for my shrimp tank to mature for the current stock of RCS I am keeping.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397915438.450451.jpg This is the tank I am putting shrimp in . Does it have enough hiding places?

Where do I get driftwood in small pieces for cheap because it is a rip off at my LFS

Can u give me an idea of a rest ape without moving the dwarf hairgrass because that is a pain todo? Please involve some driftwood. Thanks.

I would remove the java ferns in the center and place one of two pieces of DW (depending the the sizes) in their place. You can tie the ferns and moss to the DW.

Cool could I put the rest of the java fern along the back. Thanks for all the help this is my first planted tank.

Back
Top Bottom