Shrimp suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqua315

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I've decided to give shrimp a shot! My tank is fully stocked but I've been wanting to add something new and I know shrimp have a very small bioload. Here's the thing, my gold barbs and GBR's can sometimes be a bit aggressive. They sometimes like to chase the other fish but the others are fast enough to get away. Are there any shrimp that are fast or big enough to defend themselves? I know ghost shrimp are easy to get but I was hoping for something a bit more interesting and possibly bigger. Any suggestions?

I saw some information on vampire shrimp and think it'd be really cool to add one to my tank. I can't seem to find a reputable online seller though. Any suggestions? Also, is my tank big enough for a shrimp that size? I do have some live plants and some pots that act as caves. Would they need any supplemental feeding or be okay since there would only be one? Sorry for all the questions! lol

A vampire or flower/ bamboo shrimp can be a very interesting addition to an aquarium but they do take special attention to keep happy.

I keep a bamboo shrimp in my 26 gallon, but I provide him with supplemental feeding in the form of either pulverized food pellets, or a small dose of powdered food meant for baby fish.

Vampire/Bamboo shrimp are filter feeders, which mean that they are happiest when they can just plant themselves on a rock or leaf, and catch "food dust" out of the water with their catchers-mitt hands.

They are also somewhat nocturnal, which means they may hide during the day.

Also, if you do get one be prepared for when they molt. Because when a large shrimp molts, Their molting is so thick that it looks like they died.

They'll usually be hiding somewhere nearby hardening their new shell, and then they'll come out and eat their old one. (don't remove moldings from the tank because the shrimp can actually regain important minerals from eating it)

Back
Top Bottom