Shrimp tank options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gk2v

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm going to be setting up some shrimp specific tanks in the next month and I'm new to shrimp so need some advice.

Ill be keeping only cherry shrimp but a variety of colours so the set up needs to be for a very small breeding colony.

My questions are-
How small is too small as far as tank size?

Should I buy 1 large divided tank or several small ones?

I want to run a sponge filter in each section separately but off one air pump- is this possible?

What's the best way to heat multiple small tanks?

If i do go for a large divided tank, is glass dividers best or should I go for mesh etc for better cobtrol of heating and filtration?

Do I need shrimp specific substrate if I'm only keeping cherry shrimp? My tap PH is 7.8 and current community tank does well with it

Sorry if these questions seem stupid- I just want to get it right the first time!

It'd be more economical to divide one long tank. Using mesh will allow everything to flow better. My current project includes a foam filter that is more popular in Europe than here that I can see working well for you. http://www.swisstropicals.com/filtration-shop/mattenfilter-shop/ gives you premade options, just add air pump. http://youtu.be/s_1cSR3mbM4 shows you the DIY version. For breeding shrimp, the 45ppi will prevent fry from being stuck to the foam. You can put your heater behind the foam and it'll return warm water to the tank. It's pretty easy to cycle, put the starter media in the back where the water is drawn in. https://youtu.be/mZwMisotiQs shows you a more expensive but awesome setup.

If you prefer to do a rack, I've never considered it. This guy can show you all the things. http://youtu.be/CUFoVP59LmE As he says in the intro, he has other vids showing you how to make the components.

I've kept shrimp in tanks as small as 2.5g with no problems.

I don't heat my shrimp tanks. Neos can tolerate a wide range of temps. It's consistency that's important.

Shrimp-specific substrates aren't necessary.

No experience with tank dividers, sorry.

I've run 3 sponge filters off of a single air pump. I don't know if I had a faulty gang valve or what but I found it more of a hassle than it was worth.

Shrimp do best in established tanks. The appreciate plants, especially mosses and floaters. This like IAL and cholla are good for biofilm

Won't the tiny shrmplets just walk through the holes in the mesh? I think they would, and then mix and mess up your shrimp breeding line.

If you end up mixing Caridina into the Neo tanks later you must consider aggressiveness, and also pH considerations.

How many different kinds are you thinking?

If it is a large number, I would do a "Gorilla" rack or Restaurant SS rack and keep it all in one smaller area, but do different tanks. Temp wouldn't be much of an issue to around 67F below that and they might not breed well in the cold time.

As previously mentioned established tanks with stable parameters and a growth of biofilm and aufwuchs tiny & microscopic type critters are available in mature tanks but not in new tanks. The success/life of babies and adults health can be directly linked to appropriate foods.

I'm thinking at least 4 colours so 5 tanks (1for culls)

I've seen mesh done successfully but I'm thinking a Perspex border would work best and that way I can 'cap' the top with another tiny bit of Perspex because they might be able to climb vertically but I can't imagine them climbing upside down

I've seen mesh done successfully but I'm thinking a Perspex border would work best and that way I can 'cap' the top with another tiny bit of Perspex because they might be able to climb vertically but I can't imagine them climbing upside down

Shrimp will climb upside down, I often see them doing so in the floating plants.

Shrimp will climb upside down, I often see them doing so in the floating plants.

So much this. I'm constantly combing the hornwort to get the plants out of it. I might get duckweed after all, might hold up better.

So much this. I'm constantly combing the hornwort to get the plants out of it. I might get duckweed after all, might hold up better.

I'm talking about out of the water sorry above the water line

Back
Top Bottom