shrimp with bosemanis/angel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman888888

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is there a breedable fw shrimp that wouldnt get eaten?
I have 11 bosemanis and 1 platinum angel.

I got some otos yesterday - theyre all good :D
Angelfish doesnt even notice them. Hungry buggers those guys

Cherry shrimp would get picked off pretty quick i would think... even with hiding spots?

Is there a breedable fw shrimp that wouldnt get eaten?

I have 11 bosemanis and 1 platinum angel.

I got some otos yesterday - theyre all good :D

Angelfish doesnt even notice them. Hungry buggers those guys

Cherry shrimp would get picked off pretty quick i would think... even with hiding spots?

Amano Shrimp get pretty big and shouldn't be picked off. Same with Bamboo Shrimp, Vampire Shrimp (coolest shrimp ever by the way) and some others lol. But mostly them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The Amano won't breed in FW, I can't positively say about the other.

The fish would likely eat up your little shrimp buddies. A separate tank is best for shrimp. Today I just saw my little nano fish Scarlet Gem Badis stalking a full grown Cherry shrimp and the shrimp is about half the size of the fish. (though I knew they would, I was so surprised to see him going after a full grown shrimp)!

Shrimp are a delectable food for the fish.

Bamboo shrimp work, though are not breedable in fw to the best of my knowledge. Pretty much all the ones you see in the hobby has been wild caught typically, and it can be tough to find healthy ones. Also, you have no way of knowing how old they are when you get them, so sometimes they just die of old age right after you get them. They also need a lot of flow, tankmates who won't pick on them, a safe place to put out their fans for food, and food. They are super cool, but a bit difficult to keep in just any tank.

Thanks guys :)

What about crayfish? Those electric blue and orange guys :)

Could they eat otos?

I do not suggest a crayfish in with your fish under any circumstances. They absolutely can eat fish, or maim them.
There are little dwarf crays atht stay very petite, but they would get demolished in a set-up with fish as big as yours. Sorry to say, because crays are very neat little crustaceans.

Crayfish will chop plants. :( I have one in my 72G, a Vanilla or white one, not albino.

I really like him/her. He is beloved by my DD and going to live with her next week, she has a new tank.

60074-albums11380-picture66039.jpg

Though, I think I am looking into keeping some CPO, Cambarellus Patzcuarensis Orange aka Mexican Dwarf Crayfish, and am considering if they could make it in my tank which has Angels and the Boesemani Rainbows :flowers:

I have kept them before but they are small.
60074-albums9764-picture50416.jpg

I do not suggest a crayfish in with your fish under any circumstances. They absolutely can eat fish, or maim them.
There are little dwarf crays atht stay very petite, but they would get demolished in a set-up with fish as big as yours. Sorry to say, because crays are very neat little crustaceans.

So probably TOO small!!! :lol:

So probably TOO small!!! :lol:

I personally believe so. lol I have a friend who breeds them, and hers pretty much shut down and stop breeding under the stress of any sort of larger fish in the tank. Even fish as large as mollies seem in there, and they quit thriving and seem to waste away. Every once in awhile, she seems to get a spunky one who does ok, but she has quit having them with anything but nano fish for their longevity. Also, they don't seem to handle getting pecked at very well, and the bright color attracts bigger fish's attention often times, similar to rcs. That is our experience at least.

Thanks for your help guys. Sounds like a no go :( oh well

Are there any cool snails that wont harm my plants? (Eat dead leaves/algae only)

Thanks for your help guys. Sounds like a no go :( oh well

Are there any cool snails that wont harm my plants? (Eat dead leaves/algae only)

Think of it like this, it is an excelletn excuse to set up another tank. :) RCS can be bred in pretty small tanks successfully and very very rewarding. I kept them in a 2.5g for awhile, and it worked out fine, but something like a 5g or 10g would be a wonderful RCS home.

Back
Top Bottom