Shrimps or crayfish compatible with Bettas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tomimee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I currently have a 10 gallon betta tank with Java moss and Marino moss that is in the process of cycling.
What shrimps and crayfish are compatible with Bettas. I was thinking of adding a orange dwarf crayfish.

According to the following, http://nippyfish.net/bettas-101/tankmates-for-bettas/ it's not a good idea to put brightly colored fish into the same aquarium as a betta due to the betta thinking it may be another betta. So, to be safe I wouldn't recommend anything brightly colored. The orange dwarf cray may do good, but it'd largely depend on the individual betta.

Some possible alternatives to the cray could be ghost shrimp (mentioned in above article. These are cool because you can see the color of the recently eaten food through the transparent sides of the shrimp), bamboo shrimp (may be ignored due to being a brown shrimp), or possibly even amano shrimp. There are other possibilities, but just be sure the invert has similar water parameter needs as the water you're going to keep the betta in.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

btw, the bamboo shrimp mentioned in my previous reply are filter feeders. Hopefully my reply shows soon, else I'm going to be a bit salty. I've already had to type it twice...

Thanks for the reply the article was very helpful.
I originally wanted to add some rcs to the tank but was unsure of whether the betta would eat it or not. After reading a few articles I found out that the only thing rcs would add to my tank was a nice tasty treat for my betta!
Are ghost shrimps large enough to not get eaten? How about Amano? What would I have to feed the bamboo shrimp?

According to the following article, http://www.aquariumcarebasics.com/freshwater-shrimp/amano-shrimp/ the amano shrimp grow to two inches. It also mentions they are likely to be eaten by aggressive tank mates, so again, it would largely depend on the individual betta. I would think you'd have a better chance to successfully keep these with female bettas since they're not usually the fighting gender, but I could be wrong on that.

On the same site I found info about bamboo shrimp (http://www.aquariumcarebasics.com/freshwater-shrimp/bamboo-shrimp/), which mentions it eats micro algae (you can probably crush up an algae water for them), micro organisms, and other fine particulate matter. These do grow up to three inches, so just keep that in mind.

Again, same site mentions ghost shrimp (http://www.aquariumcarebasics.com/freshwater-shrimp/ghost-shrimp/) which can grow to two inches, though 1.5 inches is more common.

You can click the above links for full info on the shrimps.

Now, my recommendation is to start with a couple ghost shrimp due to being fairly cheap. They're commonly used as feeder shrimp, so you can usually purchase them for a few cents. This will allow you to gauge the temperament of your betta, so you'll know if it's aggressive or not.

If all goes well, I may consider adding an amano shrimp or two, just to better gauge the betta's temperament with the new shrimp (remember, aggressive betta and the shrimp will end up like the rcs). However, PLEASE NOTE that shrimp do best in groups of at least six (the smaller "schooling" species, e.g. amano, rcs, ghost, etc. However, larger more solitary species are fine with three or four to an aquarium, e.g. bamboo shrimp), but you really only want to start with one or two so you don't lose too much money in case your betta eats them.

Alternatively, you could purchase a couple bamboo shrimp instead of amano shrimp. The most important thing is to start with the cheapest shrimp (ghost shrimp) and head to the other one, potentially the one you actually want, after you observe the shrimp happy and healthy.

Lastly, if you don't see any ghost shrimp after you put them in the aquarium, don't automatically assume they've been eaten. They're called ghost shrimp for a reason. I've owned some that I didn't see for days and one day I saw them again. However, they should be a good gauge of your betta's temperament to help determine which tank mates would be best for future ventures

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you so much greengo I have decided and will follow your advice and add about 10 ghost shrimp once my tank gets cycled

I like amano shrimp a lot more than ghost shrimp. They are faster and hardier. They can survive carnivorous centerpiece fish in my experience. So if you haven't bought any ghost shrimp yet, I would consider the change. Or once your ghost shrimp die out, you could add the amanos.

I had a betta with RCS and he pretty much wiped them all out

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Maybe a Mexican CPO dwarf crayfish would work

Sent from the crayfish lover Mine Shaker

I have 3 orange mexan dwarf crawfish with my male halfmoon and they get along fine. If you choose shrimp I'd recommend amanos. My Betta goes at red shrimp like a bull

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It really depends on the betta. My last male didn't bother my red rili, although I'm sure shrimplets became snacks. I currently have a female with a single RCS and she doesn't bother it.

I put 4 cherry shrimp in with my betta in the evening. He chased them as I went to bed. I wasn't happy. The next day and days following, we leaves them alone. No problem. I'm new to bettas. I'm a reef tank guy and this is my kids. It's only a 2 gallon tank. May move to 5 gallon. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom