Sick rcs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zaphia1

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ow can you tell if your shrimp are sick? Mine have a white line running down the top of their back. Is it their natural coloring? A few have died in the last week, but I just moved them into a new tank...

Is it possible to post a photo of them?
Is it all the shrimp you have or just a few?

Males are somewhat clear with a little bit of red and I know my ones can look a bit white,but its hard to see for sure without seeing

Is it possible to post a photo of them? Is it all the shrimp you have or just a few? Males are somewhat clear with a little bit of red and I know my ones can look a bit white,but its hard to see for sure without seeing

I'll attach some pics when I get home. It tends to go away for a while when the shrimp are really active. When they are less active it is like an off white stipe down the top of their back.

Do you know of any symptoms to tell if they are sick?

Is it possible to post a photo of them? Is it all the shrimp you have or just a few? Males are somewhat clear with a little bit of red and I know my ones can look a bit white,but its hard to see for sure without seeing

And it is all of them...which at the moment is only 2. The others got eaten by in compatible tank mates.

From what I can gather it could just be the normal stripe that many have.
Sometimes they have this stripe whereas others do not, I'm not 100% sure why but its not harmful to the shrimp and shouldn't effect there health.
Sometimes the stripe can look sort of pinkish at times aswell

From what I can gather it could just be the normal stripe that many have. Sometimes they have this stripe whereas others do not, I'm not 100% sure why but its not harmful to the shrimp and shouldn't effect there health. Sometimes the stripe can look sort of pinkish at times aswell

This is the best pic I could get.

Attachments

• image-406625918.jpg
    image-406625918.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 114
  • image-1154726576.jpg
    image-1154726576.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 116
It could possibly be a fungal desease
Or by stress,both are common in red cherry shrimp
If you have another tank i would recommend quarantining the effected shrimp in order to minimise the others getting them

I personally haven't had this problem but a recommended solution is purchasing a product called CILLEX by brustsman
Its not available in all countries but it should help

But definitely separate the effected shrimp from the rest.

Shrimp can get that sort of colouring due to stress,especially if just purchased or just moved to a new tank with other animals living there already,so to minimise any extra stress quarantining could help or by just simply not adding anything else to the tank and letting them find home in the tank.

Just keep an eye on them, separate the sick from the healthy and best of luck.
I know how cool shrimp are,I have a growing colony in my tank and they're wonderful to watch.
I hope all goes well!

I forgot to add
Yes there could be negative reasons for the white spots however there's other possible reasons.

It could simply be just their colouring.
There are a few variations of red cherry shrimp and some can/do have white spots or other colours on them. It all depends on the individual shrimp.

From the photo its hard to tell but what it could be is what's called the "saddle"
Its what female shrimp get (the one in your image is a female) before the whole breeding process,its basically the eggs behind its head waiting for the right time.

And shrimp love to shift around the gravel and get food out by shifting it.the larger gravel you're using they can't move.
So I would recommend using a smaller gravel. And the darker the gravel the more vibrant the colour of the shrimp.
Its by no means a must! Just a thought :)

From the pics it appears to be the "racing stripe" that is found on some RCS. Normal (variation of) coloration.

Some of my cherry shrimp have the same stripe and they're perfectly fine.
image-1265474897.jpg

And shrimp love to shift around the gravel and get food out by shifting it.the larger gravel you're using they can't move. So I would recommend using a smaller gravel. And the darker the gravel the more vibrant the colour of the shrimp. Its by no means a must! Just a thought :)

Yeah. I really wish I had known more when I started this tank. I was totally a rookie, but I had tanks as a kid. I thought I knew what I was doing, but I made a lot of mistakes. Most of them are behind me now. But the loss of money and current equipment will remain present realities.

What other fish do you have?

I have six guppies and one platty in my 10g with my rcs. There are also some snails in the tank. Nerites, ramshorn, and MTS. A little more stock than I want in there. Working on rehoming the platty to a friend, and moving the rcs to their own 3g tank.

Sometimes can be from stress, like from poor water quality or other fish that were trying to eat them...

Possibly going to molt or just got done with one.

Could be the aforementioned racing stripe.

I would get them into the other tank asap.

Clean water is very important. As is diet. They need a food rich in minerals for keeping good shell formation, like Hikari Shrimp or Crab Cuisine.

Have you tested the water/have a test kit? Is the tank cycled, how long have you had it up and running?

Sometimes can be from stress, like from poor water quality or other fish that were trying to eat them... Possibly going to molt or just got done with one. Could be the aforementioned racing stripe. I would get them into the other tank asap. Clean water is very important. As is diet. They need a food rich in minerals for keeping good shell formation, like Hikari Shrimp or Crab Cuisine. Have you tested the water/have a test kit? Is the tank cycled, how long have you had it up and running?

Ha ha. You just posted on my other thread. The 3g tank for the rcs is cycling. This one is about two months. The cycle is done and the mini cycle is complete as well. I tested the water yesterday. Amm. 0, trites. 0, trates. 5. Ph is high at 8-8.2 but that is how it comes out the tank and both tanks are that way.

Back
Top Bottom