Sick snails or regular behavior?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RyanBenson

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, so my brother got 2 snails about a week after we got the tank and everything set up. Earlier today we noticed that both snails were floating at the top of the water, worried we filled up a separate bowl with the same water from the tank. For about 4 hours now the snails have been floating atop the water in the bowl, my bother called me in his room and showed me that one snail had its "head" stuck out a little ways. He decided to put him in the tank and when my bro picked it up out if the water it went back up into its shell.. He dropped in an algae pellet as well hoping the snail would find it tonight. The other snail still remains in the bowl with an algae pellet in it as well. Any help would be awesome! Sorry for this long post!

What are the water parameters? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH? Where the snails acclimated? Apple or mystery snails I'm guessing?

They are mystery! Unsure of the parameters but we ordered an API freshwater master test kit today but he has 2 catfish, 2 ghost shrimp, 1 black mystery snail and 3 blue guppies and they seem fine! We let the bag sit in the tank for 25 minutes before emptying them into the tank.

They are mystery! Unsure of the parameters but we ordered an API freshwater master test kit today but he has 2 catfish, 2 ghost shrimp, 1 black mystery snail and 3 blue guppies and they seem fine! We let the bag sit in the tank for 25 minutes before emptying them into the tank.

Ok. Make sure to keep on water changes until it arrives. I would suggest daily because that's a lot to add at once. To acclimate fish and inverts correctly you have to get them use to the temperature AND the parameters.
So you’ve cycled your tank and are ready to add fish! You can just plop them into the tank right? Nope. Fish need to be acclimated slowly to your tank because your tank’s parameters (temperature, PH, etc.) can be very different from the tank from which they came.

The “old school” way of acclimating fish is to float their bag for a while in your tank. This only acclimates them to temperature however and not other factors in your water. The best way to acclimate fish to your tank is by drip acclimation (also search YouTube for “drip acclimation” for some how-to videos).
From - http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...-to-Starting-a-Freshwater-Aquarium/Page1.html

It is normal for mystery snails to float occasionally but not for prolonged periods (a few days or more) though I have had one float for near 2 weeks and end up fine. The fact that they are responding to your touch means they are still alive. All you can do is make sure the water is clean and leave them to do their thing. Large mystery snails don't acclimate to new tanks as younger ones. When purchasing its best to get smaller, younger ones. If they start to smell or go limp in their shells they have perished.

Ok. Make sure to keep on water changes until it arrives. I would suggest daily because that's a lot to add at once. To acclimate fish and inverts correctly you have to get them use to the temperature AND the parameters.

From - http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium/?/131/1/Guide-to-Starting-a-Freshwater-Aquarium/Page1.html

It is normal for mystery snails to float occasionally but not for prolonged periods (a few days or more) though I have had one float for near 2 weeks and end up fine. The fact that they are responding to your touch means they are still alive. All you can do is make sure the water is clean and leave them to do their thing. Large mystery snails don't acclimate to new tanks as younger ones. When purchasing its best to get smaller, younger ones. If they start to smell or go limp in their shells they have perished.

Ok! Will do!! Thank you for the info! Ill check out the link tomorrow since its 1:45 am here! I will keep a watchful eye on them both! Thanks again!! :)

Back
Top Bottom