single shrimp in a vase?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessicafish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I started a planted vase today for a few pond snails that hitched a ride on my plants! I've been thinking of getting a few ghost shrimp for my betta tanks but I don't want to risk them getting eaten so I'm wondering if I can just have a single shrimp so they won't breed or how can I tell the difference between genders? I think 3-4 of the same gender would add a nice level of activity to the vase... I'm guessing the vase is 1-2gs, I have plenty of floor space for the shrimp and a terra cotta pot for hiding so I sure it would be a nice home for them but not big enought for 100... lol...

I'm guessing shrimp are social creatures so I can't only have one right?

If you do ghost shrimp you would be fine with getting male or female because they normally need brackish water to begin with since they are a low order shrimp meaning they don't start as small versions of the parents

If you do ghost shrimp you would be fine with getting male or female because they normally need brackish water to begin with since they are a low order shrimp meaning they don't start as small versions of the parents

+1. Ghost shrimp prefer breeding in brackish water. But all the same, it can be done in fw. Females are usually fatter, more full-bodied, and bigger.

Okay so I'm safe getting any gender of shrimp? I guess I'll get 3-4 maybe 5 is there any number thats best for shrimp?

Okay so I'm safe getting any gender of shrimp? I guess I'll get 3-4 maybe 5 is there any number thats best for shrimp?

In a 2g tank, you can fit up to 10-12 shrimp. I'd just go with 4-5 shrimp to start off and see if they breed or not. If they do breed, than you have room for the babies.

I have some extra containers I can use if they breed so I think I'm gonna go with 4 maybe I'll try for 2 of each gender! I'll probably get them tomorrow or monday!

I have some extra containers I can use if they breed so I think I'm gonna go with 4 maybe I'll try for 2 of each gender! I'll probably get them tomorrow or monday!

Ok.
Sounds good. (y)
And keep us updated and post pics of the shrimp when you get them! :D

it doesn't have a filter or heater but there is no need for a heater in the texas heat and there are tons of plants and I plan on doing water changes every few days!
I don't have a picture of my vase but I can get a picture of the vase from hobby lobby (where I bought it)

it doesn't have a filter or heater but there is no need for a heater in the texas heat and there are tons of plants and I plan on doing water changes every few days!
I don't have a picture of my vase but I can get a picture of the vase from hobby lobby (where I bought it)

You can't just take a pic of the vase and upload it with the computer/phone? And since your in Texas, a heater is definitely not necessary.

I can't because I'm at a friend's house sleeping over but I'll be home in the morning at around 9 so I can post some pictures then...

Back
Top Bottom