Small tank w/ crab?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

licerbob

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am in an Oceanography class at my High school and the year ends in about 3 weeks. (class of 2014!!!:D)
My teacher is trying to adopt out are "specimens" that we caught in the Chesapeake bay at the beginning of the year. In me and my partners tank we only have a small (less than an inch) mud crab (not sure what specific species sorry :confused: I will try to get a pic) and a long pincered hermet crab.

If I adopted these 2 tiny crabs would they be O.K. in a 1 gallon tank w/ under gravel filter and sand? The tank is kind of more short and fat rather than tall and skinny so lots of ground space was my thinking since the crabs do not swim?
I know there brackish and my class tank salinity is on average 28ppt. I THINK 2 teaspoons per gallon should get the salinity up to that? Dose any body know there salinity range?
I have a larger (40 g) essentially freshwater tank (there is a little bit of salt to help the fish but I do not know how much right now because of water changes and stuff) with some Mollies, guppies, platties, and ghost Catfish

If I do need a bigger tank what size? and can any fish go in with them?

Obviously I need some tips :oops: please help! Thanks alotl :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom