Snail feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giffmastaflex

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought a few mystery snails and I was wondering what to feed then and how much?

My mystery snail enjoys feeding on the algae wafers and shrimp pellets that I offer my corys. I feed 1/2 of an algae wafer in the morning and 2 small shrimp pellets in the evening. If he's lucky, he will also find a bloodworm the others have missed.

He enjoys crawling on top of the wafer so the others cant get at it...almost like he's saying "No! Mine!" ;) They are fun.

I would also recommend offering a piece of cuttlebone so that your snails get the calcium they need for their shells. They are sold in the bird section of any pet store, and are usually quite cheap. I just break a small piece off, one cuttlebone lasts a long, long time.

Feeding Snails

I bought a few mystery snails and I was wondering what to feed then and how much?

Hello giff...

I don't think any snail is particular about feeding. The snails I keep eat the leftovers when I feed my fish. Generally, a little variety a couple of times a week. Most will clean up dead plant and fish material too.

B

I feed mine algae wafers, cucumber, blanched kale and spinach. They also like fish flakes and Hikari crab cuisine which is high in calcium. And I use cuttlebone too. ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I feed mine regular tropical fish flakes. They live with my three female betas and actually surprisingly the betas eat the flakes also. The snails love the flakes because whatever is left on the ground they will eat!

If you really want to feed snails well, look up Snail jello. First class snail food, you make it yourself.
They are scavengers, so they eat almost anything they find, including dead shrimp, dead snails, dead fish, dead plants, whatever you feed fishes that ends up on the bottom. Though they do eat algae, they are actually omnivores that appreciate meaty meals now and then, as well as plants. Shrimp pellets will be appreciated.. they're not FOR shrimp, rather, they're made from shrimp, for fish.

Mystery snails will eat any vegetable just about it. They also will eat any type of fish food. You can give them antacid tablets like Tums for calcium. Mine love the fruit ones. You can also add cuttlefish bone, eggshells, calcium supplements for humans, shells, and there are many recipes for calcium blocks made from plaster. You need to keep the PH up to at least 7. Any lower causes problems with their shells.

Back
Top Bottom