Snail help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Julixttx

Aquarium Advice Activist
A few months ago I got 5 mystery snails from Petsmart, and they haven't laid eggs above the water. I've seen egg like forms coming from them and floating to be he bottom but I figured it was waste. I just found a baby snail in my tank, breathing and moving.

I was wondering what snails lay eggs underwater? Or how I even have a baby snail fully developed.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433937631.399699.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433937658.149772.jpg
Those are both of the baby snail I'll get the adult snails after.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Looks more like a pond snail to me. I'm not an expert on breeding mystery snails though. If it's a pond snail keep it out of the tank they are a pest. No harm to the tank but will infest it.

Caleb

Agreed, i think its a mystery pond snail. Ive got assasin snails thatll clear that right up.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do the snails lay eggs under water though? And wouldn't I be able to just remove them when they're getting to be too much? This is the first baby that's been in the tank, and I also only have one black one in my tank like this one.

Here are my four other snail... My cat decided to have a little fun with one last night.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433963462.255761.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433963527.158407.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433963590.002982.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433963655.250587.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433963715.717588.jpg

The black ones are the same snail.

Black and gold were bought about 2 months ago and my ivorys were about 4.

Those are all mystery. I stand by the baby being a pond snail though. They can hitchhike on almost anything.. Fish plants whatever.

Caleb

But wouldn't it be larger if it came into my tank months ago?

I haven't done anything besides change the water in my tank for those two months, so I don't understand.

But wouldn't it be larger if it came into my tank months ago?

I haven't done anything besides change the water in my tank for those two months, so I don't understand.

Pond snails do not get very big.

Caleb

Just could have been eggs on something you brough into the tank. That looks like it could be a couple months old. The pics with the little ones are for sure pond snails bladder snails. They lay eggs in the water.

Mystery snails go above the water line. Sometimes they don't breed. Do you keep your water about an inch lower than the rim? If you are trying to get them to lay eggs thay may help. Sometimes they go up into the hood and lay them on the plastic up there! So do an inspection every week to 10 days. Water will drown them until they hatch and seek the water to live in.

I would but they haven't laid eggs yet.

Back
Top Bottom