Snail ID?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishingMouse

Aquarium Advice Freak
Anybody know who this guy is and how to get rid of a colony intent on eating my plants?

Attachments

• image-1601067811.jpg
    image-1601067811.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 97
Buuuump. I found a couple doing the nasty and I've eradicated two nests of eggs already. I've heard of assassin snails, but I have ghost shrimp and a nerite snail......

Buuuump. I found a couple doing the nasty and I've eradicated two nests of eggs already. I've heard of assassin snails, but I have ghost shrimp and a nerite snail......

Looks like a bladder snail, i just get rid of them by squishing them and feed them to my fish. But I'm not sure about totally eradicating them i wouldn't put assassins in either. Just take them out when you see them :)

There are so many though >.< and I found one in my filter even. Is there an easier way to collect them?

You can try putting a lettuce leaf weighed down, do it at night and then remove it in the morning hopefully they'll be on it just throw it away. I have the same problem with ramshorn snails at the moment but i over feed my elephant nose so that's why i have a lot of them.

I have a bunch of snails just like those. They are pond snails. They are quite good for a planted tank to aide in decaying vegetation. There are only a few ways to kill them, 1) reduce feeding of fish and you will reduce the amount of them. 2) Kill them on spot and make a nice treat for your fish. 3) Add copper to kill them, but you will kill other inverts if you go this route. Best of luck with them.

You can try putting a lettuce leaf weighed down, do it at night and then remove it in the morning hopefully they'll be on it just throw it away. I have the same problem with ramshorn snails at the moment but i over feed my elephant nose so that's why i have a lot of them.

I think this is my best option, I don't mind a couple but I'm starting to get overrun. I'm very careful not to over feed cuz my betta is a pig and will eat the shrimp pellets I feed my cories, so I feed him a pellet then drop one sinking one while he's distracted. And I have other inverts so I don't wanna do copper.

Lettuce washed and in my tank weighed down with a fork. Hopefully that'll have most of the little buggers by morning and I'll toss em out the window haha. Thanks to all the advice!

Lettuce washed and in my tank weighed down with a fork. Hopefully that'll have most of the little buggers by morning and I'll toss em out the window haha. Thanks to all the advice!

If it doesn't work that well, turn off the lights in the tank for a few hours then go in and take it out.

I was over run by the same snails before long they were every where! I then bough some assassin snails they have done a great job! I no longer have any pest snails. I also have shrimp and nertrite snails in my tank. They have not bothered either the co exist fine. The nertrite snails are a lot bigger then the assassin so I think that is why they leave them alone, also shrimp are very fast they never stick around long enough for a slow moving snail to become a target.

Back
Top Bottom