Snail id

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman1121

Aquarium Advice Regular
I found this little guy in my 40 gallon freshwater tank. Its not very big I can tell its alive. Probably hitchhiked over on some rock or plant. It was very small when I last saw it like a month ago but now he is a lot bigger. Can anyone id this? Is it dangerous?

ForumRunner_20130817_142421.jpg

He's the little thing in the middle.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130817_142319.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130817_142319.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 90
Looks like a Malaysian trumpet snail...they are sometimes considered a pest because of how quickly they reproduce...but there are also plenty of people that like them...I have them in my small 1.5 gallon planted only tank

Looks like a Malaysian trumpet snail...they are sometimes considered a pest because of how quickly they reproduce...but there are also plenty of people that like them...I have them in my small 1.5 gallon planted only tank

Jev12 is correct. And the more the snails eat the more it causes them to breed. Most likely if you see 1 then there is 10.

Bit of interesting lore.. they don't lay eggs like most snails.. instead, they lay eggs inside an internal brood pouch, then 'birth' live young, fully formed, at the water surface, typically at night. You see them crawling up the glass to do this at night. Baby snails often end up in filters as a result.

They are really quite good algae eaters, and because they like to burrow in the substrate, they aerate it, which can help prevent gas pockets from forming, especially if you tend to overfeed fish.

They have several young at one time, so they do increase in numbers quite fast, but they have relatively little bioload, and are very useful. Don't eat plants, do eat algae and leftovers, and don't harm anything else. Get to about one and one eighth inch long at most, and the tip of their shells often vanishes as they get older, but does not seem to slow them down at all if this happens.

Sorry it took me a while to reply but I checked my tank today and there's little tiny baby snails EVERYWHERE.

Yep.. that's how it goes, but I like having them around. I don't mind the little ones, and they work hard. Full grown they don't get much over an inch long, btw, and not much over a quarter inch wide at the foot end.

I have a colony of easily 200 MTS or more in my 55, and started with 9 about a year ago!!! I love them!! As long as you dont everfeed they wont breed out of control and they are very beneficial as they eat the crud that falls into ur substrate and if your ammo, trites, or trates get 2 high they will try to escape so they also act as an early warning system!!!

True enough. I always find some in the bucket after I rinse filters. By then the water is pretty nasty, I water plants with it and they love it. But there are always a number of tiny MTS snails on the bucket walls after it settles, I would guess they are trying to climb out.

Back
Top Bottom