snail identification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SushiRoll

Aquarium Advice Freak
What type of snail is this? I'm thinking they're pond snails. They came on some plants I bought. I also got a picture of their eggs.

Attachments

• FISH.jpg
    FISH.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 77
  • FISH 2.jpg
    FISH 2.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 75
  • fish 2.jpeg
    fish 2.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 71
What type of snail is this? I'm thinking they're pond snails. They came on some plants I bought. I also got a picture of their eggs.
Hi, I'm not sure about the top pic. But the other two are of pond snails, the bottom has a very nice shell to.

Did you ever find out if they were pond snails? They do look an aweful lot like them. I just added plants that had snails on them and I went through each strand looking for snails and eggs because I don't want them in an 87 gallon taking over! I'm sure I missed some and will end up with snails anyway. Maybe my pictus cats will eat them?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Do mystery snails eat algae?
Yes. In my experience they will eat some algae but they will also eat soft leaved plants like Cabomba caroliniana. a better snail for algae would be the pond snail. Just don't over feed and you won't have a explosion of snails.
I hope this helps. :)

Do mystery snails eat algae?

Mystery snail's aren't good for algae, when they're young they'll eat it but don't really bother with it when older. You'll also need to feed it as well. I keep them and really enjoy watching them. You can also try nerite snail's if your looking for something to eat algae, they're really hard workers and don't breed in freshwater. They can lay eggs but they can't hatch.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom