Snail invasion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spencer1044

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i have a 30 gal tank with 2 30 gal filters a heater and air pump. Over about a month or so my snail population has grown from 10 to 200-300. I heared about different methods of getting rid of them but i kinda just want to get a type of loach that could just stay in my tank. Im only taking up about 19 inches of fish right now. Oh and one of my mollies is having babies at the moment but im keeping the fry in a breeding net. I have live plants in the tank rocks and hiding places so any info helps thanks.

image-3129272722.jpg

image-4216773691.jpg

image-2115616700.jpg

image-3334962406.jpg

Yoyo loaches could be an option, but they can grow to 5-6 inches and need to be in groups of 3 or more and they can also be aggressive towards other fish. Other options are assassin snails- I have one in my 10g tank and he has done a fabulous job. It's not immediate results like loaches, but he helps keep the ecosystem balanced and he doesn't mess with my fish community :)
Edit: there are other types of loaches that are said to be less aggressive, like kubotai/angelicus botia loaches, or dwarf chain loaches (stay much smaller) but these tend to be a bit more pricey and again need to be kept in groups.

Ok thanks so 3 of the snails. I thought i was done with this breeding thing too but then one of my mollies decides to go mate with his mother and sister. That's just not ok lol.

Assassin snails. Not for the instant result but look awesome and you will start noticing snail shells before long.

Assasin snails got rid of the same problem in my tank in less than a month! I got 5, one per wall (including the floor). I want to get of rid of them now before they start having babies.

I had a Malaysian t snail outbreak in my 10, 4 assassins have done an outstanding job with the population control! I have grown quite fond of the assassins, fun to watch.

Yodo or yoyo loaches are the snail killing boys! I got to and with in two days iv not seen one since ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387664614.295740.jpg

Back
Top Bottom