Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mundle

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi I got some snails ( piggyback ) lol
On a plant
And I seperated them as they were all over my tank
I have ramshon and possible another it's the same colour but instead of being roundish it's more double ended cone
What is it
Can they cross breed
Can I put in cold water
Can I put in a pond with goldfish
Will the gold fish eat them is it to cold

Sorry for so many questions
Please help as much as possible

Hi I got some snails ( piggyback ) lol
On a plant
And I seperated them as they were all over my tank
I have ramshon and possible another it's the same colour but instead of being roundish it's more double ended cone
What is it
Can they cross breed
Can I put in cold water
Can I put in a pond with goldfish
Will the gold fish eat them is it to cold

Sorry for so many questions
Please help as much as possible

Hello M...

I keep "Ramshorn" snails in all my tropical fish tanks. Their shell really does resemble a mountain goat's horn. You can get all kinds of colors, but mostly dark brown, reddish and even a clear shelled version. They'll eat all forms of algae and any decaying plant and fish material. Haven't noticed them damaging any healthy plants, they just remove the algae. They're a good addition to my tanks.

I suppose they could live in room temperature water, 68 degrees or so. My fish are tropical, so my tank water is warmer, 76-78 degrees.

These snails are a good indication of proper feeding routines. Too many snails means you're overfeeding, just a few you're probably underfeeding. It's best to underfeed a little.

I doubt your fish will do anything to the snails, larger snails and loaches will eat them though.

B

If they are small enough to fit in a goldfishes mouth then yes they will at least attempt to eat them. I recently added three mystery snails to my goldfish tank, but they are larger snails. The goldfish will occasionally pick at their shells as if they were a rock. Aside from that they don't seem to even notice them.

Back
Top Bottom