snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danicalderon

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have an apple snail also a horned snail and another that came with the horned but i dont know the name i just found a pic on google. So my question is do they reproduce even though they are different???

ForumRunner_20130915_181305.jpg

No. Apple / mystery snails only breed with others of their species. I have never heard of the other kinds you have interbreeding.

The apple snail can't interbreed with the nerite, but judging from that picture you got an extra nerite with the horned one, those two can interbreed, but egg clutches will only hatch in brackish or salt water so you won't have any breeding at all unless you end up with another mystery snail of the opposite sex of the current one.

You won't see clutches of nerite eggs, and unless one of them is female, may not see any. If you do, they'll be single light coloured dots on wood, rock, even glass sometimes. They'll fade away with time, but some don't care for how the eggs appear. You can scrub them off if you don't like them, but it's a bit of work to do that.

The mystery snail, if it is female, might lay some eggs. They'll be above water though. If you don't want them, toss them. She could have mated before you got her, sometimes females will lay infertile eggs too. If male, of course, no eggs will appear.

Back
Top Bottom