Snails ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Viccy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well I am the girl who would say oouu Yuck... get them away from me ...well I jumped into the snail pool with both feet ! I now have 5 Mystery snails and i want more, these snails are cool , I bought 3 gold and 2 ivory . I wanted to buy more but 1 of my snails laid a clutch of eggs a week ago and now I find another clutch of eggs , can anyone tell me what is a reliable site to help me with mz eggs or should I leave it up to nature to hatch these eggs ?

Do you have predators in the tank? Honestly my kuhli's don't bother them. The snails are good at picking spots to lay. But you have to decide if you want to raise and rehome snails. If you don't then remove and discard the clutches.

For the most part no , neons , minnows,cory cats but I do have a silver dollar and 7 angelfish

If you really want to focus on raising the babies then you will need a separate tank. I believe most of your fish will munch a baby snail. They are pretty small when they hatch. I used to have black skirt tetras that would eat them as they dropped into the water after hatching. The young snails contribute to the fish diet. But there are always survivors and you may end up with 10-20 snails instead of 50.

I can live with that for now , that just a few survivors but we are thinking of breeding them . We will have to look into what is the best to start with , 10 or 15g tank or even multiple tanks but it's something my wife and I need to discuss . Our debate is over breeding snails of fish

Snails that are kept in a warm tank with plenty of food and clean water will have lots of "fun" and lay tons of eggs. But it does shorten their lifespan a little over a year. The snails I keep in a single gender cooler tank live about 2.

FYI.

Back
Top Bottom