Snails all die

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MattB1988

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 4 mystery snails that one by one have passed away this week. The water test and water changes after each one say the water is fine and safe. Anyone know why this might have happened?

Have you tested for heavy metals and copper? Are you adding high amounts of salts?

No but I will order a metal test kit right now. I haven't added any salt tho.

What is your PH? Snails do best over 7.2. But even if it is low it isn't a fast killer. The shells slowly degrade.

Last edited:
Yea the shells do/ did look all look really thin. I've added calcium to the water a few times but I hasn't seemed to help.

Cuttlebone is an option can be placed in your filter. Start with small piece.

I fed high calcium foods and tried a cuttlebone and none of it really helped my snails. I had to raise the ph. I use crushed coral/argonite in my canister to keep it about 7.4-7.8.

Is your tank cycled, are you rinsing with tap water or changing the filter pads?

If you test your water after the water change you do not know how bad it was before the water change? Try testing before and after a few times.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom